Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code MN621
Unit Title Advanced Network Design
Assessment Type Individual written report and group demonstration – T2 2018
Assessment Title Local Area Network Design and Setup
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) This assignment is designed to assess students’ knowledge and skills related to the following learning outcomes:
a. Investigate suitable network designs to match requirements.
b. Create appropriate frameworks and standards for network implementation
Weight 15% of the total assessments
Total Marks 60
Word limit 2500
Due Date Week 8, demonstrate during laboratory class (in groups not more than two students) and submit report on Moodle(individual report) by the end of week 8.
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
Extension • If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to AMS. You must submit this application within three working days of the assessment due date. Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/aboutmit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/PlagiarismAcademic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
Prepared by: Dr Imran Ali Jokhio Moderated by: A/Prof Savitri Bevinakoppa July, 2018
A case study: Local Area Network design and configuration
There is an organisation which is primarily e-commerce business. It is going through a major transformation because of its expansion. The expansion is due to merger of two smaller businesses to the organisation. Now, the organisation is moving to a new building having about 100 employees. The new building is of three floors. The ground floor is for reception, foyer and warehouse so there is a need of five data points at reception, four in warehouse and two in foyer. The 1st floor consists of five offices and forty open plan office cubicles. The 2nd floor consists of three rooms, each room have four office cubicles, two offices and thirty open plan cubicles. There is also a meeting room at 2nd floor that requires four data points. Each and every person needs two data points at their desk whether it’s an office, room cubicle or open plan cubicle. Each floor also needs wireless connectivity.
This organisation needs a new LAN plan, design and implementation before they move to new facility.
Design a local area network for the given case study.
Write a report on a network plan and configurations having following sections:
1. Analyse the need for the network for above case study. Investigate and propose a suitable complete network design for the case study.
2. Write a detailed setup of network devices only for a LAN.
3. Write a detailed implementation report which includes configurations of each networking device which are included in the whole network.
4. Demonstrate and compare at least 2 configuration results which may include at least two switches/routers and two PCs on physical networking devices. [20 marks]
Demonstration: Students can demonstrate in a group of 2. Students should be ready with all setup and configurations before start of the laboratory class. Tutor will ask 2-3 questions to each student to demonstrate any configuration of the setup. Demonstration from each student should not be more than 3 minutes.
Students should give their group members to tutor in week 7 during lab class. Students will get demonstration timetable before start of the week 8 lab class.
Marks Section to be included in the report Description of the section
03 Project scope Outline of the report ( in 3-4 sentences)
05 Project hardware
- Name of the network device with manufacturer’s name, series, model and ports
- Type of the cables
- Name of the server, PC with specification such as operating system, RAM, hard disk etc.
03 Network Diagram - Network diagram is drawn and labelled
07 Network Design
Write justification of the network design
20 Network device configurations commands Configuration commands to configure network
20 Network device configurations –
Demonstration on physical device Demonstration of various features
02 Reference style Follow IEEE reference style
Grades Excellent = 80% Very Good 79 Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
Project scope /3 Concise and specific to the project Topics are relevant and soundly analysed. Generally relevant and analysed. Some relevance and briefly presented. This is not relevant to the assignment topic.
5 Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically and sourced reference material appropriately Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically but did not source reference material appropriately Demonstrate
d ability to think critically and sourced reference material appropriately Demonstrated ability to think critically and did not source reference material appropriately Did not demonstrate ability to think critically and did not source reference material appropriately
Network Design and diagram /10 Demonstrated excellent ability
to think critically and sourced reference material appropriately Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically but did not source reference material appropriately Demonstrate
d ability to
think critically and sourced reference material appropriately Demonstrated ability to think critically and did not source reference material appropriately Did not demonstrate ability to think critically and did not source reference material appropriately
configurations - Switch configuration/
20 All elements are present and very well integrated. Components present with good cohesive Components present and mostly well integrated Most components present Proposal lacks structure.
Demonstratio n /20 Logic is clear and easy to follow with strong arguments Consistency logical and convincing Mostly consistent logical and convincing Adequate cohesion and conviction Argument is confused and disjointed
Reference style/ 2 Clear styles with excellent source of references. Clear referencing style Generally good referencing style Sometimes clear referencing style Lacks consistency with many errors