Assessment 1 (Individual Work – 40%) Case study: Managing Lean Project
You have been given the task to organise the FIFA 2018 World Cup football tournament (https://www.fifa.com/worldcup).
(For those not familiar with football, you may change the event to the recently concluded 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games: https://gc2018.com/).
This assessment item requires you to work INDIVIDUALLY.
1. As the project manager in charge of delivering such as an important world sporting event:
i. Identify and elaborate the following terms with regards to the event.
a. Voice of the Customer (VOC)
b. Critical to Customer Requirements (CCR)
c. Critical to Quality parameters (CTQ)
ii. In what ways would you have implemented lean project management for this event?
iii. Identify and elaborate processes from PMBOK, PRINCE2, Organisational Project Management, Agile Practices and Lean Six Sigma (DMAIC Methodology) that could support your lean project implementation.
2. Your submission should be made using Microsoft Office documents and
the ESSAY submitted as a separate 2,500 - 3,000 word Microsoft WORD document. Text beyond the 3000 word limit WILL NOT BE MARKED. Text length less than 2500 words will be penalised by 5% of the total available marks.
3. Supporting diagrams / figures may be presented in other formats - Excel, PowerPoint slides, PDF documents, as part of the appendix and will not count towards the essay’s word limit. The reference list will also not be included in the word count.
4. Tables should be placed in the essay and shall be included in the word count.
5. Your submission should be a properly constructed to an academic standard. It should contain an effective introduction, body and conclusion. The introduction should introduce the essay and include your argument. The body should present the justification to support your recommendations, provide your assumptions and finally, provide a conclusion that should restate your recommendations on a high level.
6. The submission should contain a coherent, but necessarily restricted review of the academic literature on the project management topics in question. The literature review should be integrated into the essay, not a separate section. Do not include an executive summary or an abstract.
7. This assessment item involves researching your assigned topic to enhance your understanding of lean project management concepts and utilisation of academic literature. Whilst you use the recommended textbooks and lecture materials, you may also refer to relevant peer reviewed, academic journal articles. A reference list (comprising between 5 –
10 references) formatted in the prescribed APA style is compulsory.
Your assignment will be assessed on the extent and quality to which it meets each of the following criteria:
No Attributes (%)
i a) Voice of the Customer (VOC) 2
i b) Critical to Customer Requirements (CCR) 2
i c) Critical to Quality (CTQ) parameters 2
ii) Ways or areas to implement lean project management 8
iii) Identify and elaborate processes from PMBOK, PRINCE2, Organisational
Project Management (OPM) Agile Practices and Lean Six Sigma (DMAIC Methodology) that could support your lean project implementation.
Practices Processes Elaboration Marks
Lean Six Sigma 6
iv Clarity of expression, grammar, spelling and correct APA style referencing 4
Assessment Due Date Week 9 Monday (10 Sep 2018) 11:55PM AET
Type Individual Work