Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code BN303
Unit Title Wireless Network & Security
Assessment Type Individual Assessment
Assessment Title Use of a WLAN Tools in an enterprise setting
Purpose of the assessment (with
ULO Mapping) a. Provide in-depth descriptions of wireless architecture and security vulnerabilities.
b. Conduct research and gain knowledge about different sniffing tools
c. Solve complex problems in secure wireless network designs.
d. Help enterprises to maintain and implement a secure wireless network.
Total Marks 60
Word limit 1500 minimum
Due Date Week 8 Sunday 11:55pm i.e. 9th of September 2018
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
Extension • If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly through AMS. You must submit this application within three working days of the assessment due date. Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policiesprocedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-Policy-
Procedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
This assignment include two tasks:
Task one: (research)
Students are required to choose four WLAN sniffing tools and write a maximum of 200 words about each tool to highlight:
• How tools work o Level of complexity
• Included features
• Differences from other tools
• Advantages and disadvantages
• screen shots (one for each tool) o install demo versions then take screen shots – online screen shots will not be considered
Students are required to
1. Record WLAN access points at a public place (such as at a shopping centre, public place, home network etc. of your choice).
2. Gather technical information about wireless network at three different locations with minimum of 5 APs for each location.
3. Test the WLAN sniffing tool and report your observation and recommend how to secure and/or manage WLAN. Your report should include:
a. Screenshots (as an evidence) and detail explanation to report working mechanism (the step by step process) of the identified technique.
b. Explain the use (evaluation) of the technique to secure and/or manage WLAN.
o Discuss dual bands and its advantages o Security implications
4. Submit a one (1) minute video along with audio to demonstrate your implementation (the tutor must be able to recognize you in the video). Your video file format must be compatible with video playing software available in MIT labs.
• Zip all your files and submit it on Moodle as one zip folder
Marks are allocated as indicated on each question, taking the following aspects into account:
Criteria Description Marks
Task one Explain how tools works
Level of complexity
Features, cons and pros
Differences and screen shots
The genuinely of the research 4
Sophistication and effectiveness Sophistication and effectiveness to secure and/or manage WLAN 10
Report structure Inadequate structure, careless presentation, poor writing , word limits 10
Reference style (IEEE) Minimum 5 Proper different referencing resources 10
Video along with audio Demonstration Successful video demonstration To support submitted report. 10
Marking Rubric for Exercise Answers
Grade Mark HD 80%+ D 70%-79% CR 60%-69% P
Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
/20 Explanation is clear and easy to follow with strong arguments Consistency logical and convincing Mostly consistent and convincing Adequate cohesion and conviction Argument is confused and disjointed
Sophisticati on and
s The presented solution demonstrated The presented solution demonstrated The presented solution The presented solution The presented solution demonstrated
/10 an extreme degree of sophistication and effectiveness to secure and/or manage WLAN a high degree of sophistication and effectiveness to secure and/or manage WLAN demonstrat ed an average degree of sophisticati on and effectivenes s to secure and/or manage WLAN demonstrate d a low degree of sophisticatio n and effectiveness to secure and/or manage WLAN a poor degree of sophistication and effectiveness to secure and/or manage WLAN.
Reference style /10 Clear styles with excellent source of references. Clear referencing/ style Generally good referencing
/style Unclear referencing/s
tyle Lacks consistency with many errors
Report structure and report presentatio n
/10 Proper writing. Professionally presented Properly written, with some minor deficiencies Mostly good, but some
structure or presentatio n problems Acceptable presentation Poor structure, careless presentation
Successful completion and well understanding
of the outcome. Successful completion and understanding
of the outcome. Partially
understandi ng of the outcome. Partially
completed and did not understandin g of the outcome. Not completed and did not understanding
of the outcome.