HRPD 710 – ADR –
Culminating Assignment - Analyzing a Contemporary Conflict
This assignment may be done individually or in groups of up to 3 MAX [no exceptions!]
Worth: as noted on Course Evaluation handout
Due Date: posted on eCentennial course site
You are to select a contemporary conflict situation
- that interests you, and that you have sufficient knowledge about, such as a:
• business / organizational situation you are/were either involved with, or intimately aware of;
• situation you are very familiar with and are sufficiently aware of through the media;
• significant personal conflict situation [this option likely means ONLY THAT ONE PERSON will do this alone – assignment content will be kept confidential];
• any other choices must be approved by Instructor well in advance,
to be able to address the requirements of this paper [noted on provided rubric].
You must pick a situation which will allow you to address all the rubric / requirement aspects of the assignment.
In the Introduction Section, you must be able to “tell the story” in your own words to show your understanding of the circumstance you will be discussing within 2-3 pages [max].
Do not use A SCENARIO “BORROWED” FROM SOME SITE OFF THE INTERNET.
Your report is to apply the concepts learned in this course, and should include several discretely noted sections, as a minimum to include: INTRODUCTION, DISCUSSION, EXPLANATION, ELABORATION, and if relevant, DEBATE, [on the following points noted below], as a minimum
The order of these points is neither complete / exhaustive nor the only order in which these points could be addressed:
• description of the conflict, why it is a tbfic [if it is and if not why isn’t it – but it could still be a dispute and/or disagreement of sorts and still an interpersonal interaction], its nature, and context;
? you need to be able to “tell / summarize the scenario story” in your own words, from inception to where it ended - clearly, concisely, unambiguously within the first 2-3 pages [max]
• what caused the conflict and what types of conflict can it be categorized as;
• what fueled / catalyzed the conflict;
• conflict stages and escalation stages [and content of each];
• what approaches were taken by the involved parties
-- proactively, before, during, reactively, after;
• a critique of the conflict management strategies used by the key parties;
• if the conflict was resolved, how was it resolved and was this resolution successful [AND YOU define “successful”];
• if the conflict was / has not been resolved, why not ?- what is, or was, in the way of resolution?
• what could have been handled differently [proposal] and why [justification]?
• Plus -any other of your own “value-added” insights / discussion / principles of ADR – which could be introduced anywhere in the paper - beyond these BASIC requirements.
These are guidelines to the creation of your report] – REMEMBER: this IS NOT A “Q & A” paper - this is to be a proper paper!.
USE HEADINGS AND SUBHEADINGS to segregate and logically organize your work and discussions.
- Your paper is to be a proper discussion / report, not just a list of answers to questions.
Marks will be deducted for failing to comply with instructions and requirements, including format / spelling / grammatical / syntax / etc…
You are expected to use the readings and concepts covered in the course as tools for the analysis.
This assignment must include academically valid citations [APA style] as appropriate in a research paper – just having references / bibliography page is not accepted, adequate, or proper.
[NB: neither my slides nor my lectures are acceptable as references or citations]
This report should be up to about 10-12 pages, and must be properly formatted, presented, and submitted according to posted Assignment Submission Requirements with proper headings and subheadings used to outline and arrange your work. It is also preferred that you use the Word function to create a proper Table of Contents.
Business School professional standards in terms of format and content apply, and marks will be deducted for failure to adhere to these standards.
You will be evaluated on the quality and clarity of your analysis and your argument.
A grading rubric is included – please read this carefully
This guide explains the criteria used in grading the Analyzing a Contemporary Conflict Assignment
0 to 1 out of 5
5 out of 5
EXPLICIT use / application of course concepts with clear unambiguous identification & explanation/ rationale MAX ACHIEVABLE
What is the conflict about - full and complete description of the conflict - the relevant parties, what created/initiated the conflict and the issues involved from both parties perspectives in a concise clear “Story”..
What defines this as a conflict?
No coherent, unique, summary or discussion of scenario or simply “Cut and Paste” or mostly paraphrase from outside source
From relevant parties’ perspectives, no clear rationale / explanation or identification of:
- how the conflict began
- why this is / there is /was a conflict.
- what the issues / - who are the parties involved. - Clear unambiguous discussion explaining what the situation and context is about
- parties involved and their “stake” - goals/ interests
- why this is a bona fide conflict, as opposed to any other interpersonal situation, as discussed in course.
- issues involved 20
Definition with explanation of the type[s] and causes/reasons of the conflict. No identification or only “colloquial” / superficial identification of type of conflict and related causes/ reasons - type and cause[s] / reason[s], clearly adapting course and text material to this scenario 15
Stages of conflict and its escalation stages identified. No identification /discussion identifying stages of conflict and escalation - Stages of Conflict and the Stages of Escalation clearly articulated and demarcated 15
What fueled/catalyzed the conflict moving to the next stage[s] No identification / discussion provided which identifies what caused the conflict to progress - factors/ circumstances / events leading to each stage / step of conflict progression 15
Identification and explanation of the approaches used by both parties to resolve
- critique of CM approaches used No identification or only “colloquial” / superficial identification of type of methods used to resolve conflict by all parties - the method/s used by parties involved to deal with the conflict including your reasons for making this/these conclusion/s
[i.e. what lead you to conclude these were the strategies / tactics for resolving the conflict used by each party involved]. 15
If resolved, why and how it was resolved, outcome[s] achieved; whether it was successful from perspective of all parties? Not much, if anything, beyond stating “some one did this and it worked” or “someone suggested this and we agreed” - steps to and including resolution, how and what was done/said/ and by whom
- type of outcome[s] achieved
- which of the parties believes the outcome was successful or not and why and what “success” means to each party
- application of course concepts – e.g. decision making methods/processes, ethical or cultural issues, framing, listening and responding skills/styles, negotiation / ADR tactics 15
If not resolved, why? No analysis of what may have “gone wrong” or what prevented resolution - all possible reasons and explanations as to why resolution did not happen 10
Identification and explanation of other CM approaches that could have been used - why they were not, potential limitations, etc … No discussion of any other options that could have been used - other options that could have been used, identifying negative or positive outcomes, that may have been achieved by these and under what condition 15
What could have been done differently- any stage - either party No reflection / introspection of the scenario, its events, outcomes… - identification of other [creative] possibilities that could have been used during various stages of the situation. 10
Format, [including APA] grammar, spelling, syntax, “layout”, page length, professionalism Numerous errors
- if above required elements are obscured, may impact above grades as well
- proper referencing / Academic Integrity principles applied – if this is not done could result in ZERO grade for paper Error free 20