second ensure safe workplace
from page 97 to 106
task 1 and task 2
Task 1 — Work Health and Safety Management Plan
For an organisation you have access to or a simulated business where this access is not available), review the WHS practices in place and develop Work Health and Safety Management Plan. A template has been provided for the WHS Management Plan.
In order to conduct the review prior to developing the plan, complete the following:
1. List the forms, registers and records that an organisation uses to collect information on WHS incidents, injuries and near misses. How could analysing these records help the PCBU or health and safety officer improve WHS performance in an organisation?
2. How can managers effectively implement and monitor an organisation's WHS procedures and programs in their respective work area or department? Include the following items in your discussion:
a) What types of work are performed by the organisation and within the department or work area selected?
b) What methods could be used to explain WHS legislative and regulatory requirements to the selected department employees?
c) What types of issues have you discussed in WHS meetings?
d) What types of follow-up action may be required from those meetings?
e) How would a training needs analysis be conducted for an organisation? What processes or information would be used to do this?
f) What types of WHS training may be required for employees of an organisation?
3. What could be some of the possible outcomes in an organisation if risk controls are inadequate? What are the reasons risk control strategies of an organisation may be inadequate? Provide three examples of potential work hazards within a workplace.
4. What methods are used in a workplace to identify hazards? Provide three examples.
Task 2 - WHS Case study
Western Mining is a mining firm that mines coal in the Western Australian Outback. It employs more than 1000 workers at its site. The workforce includes machine operators, tradespeople and labourers, as well as engineers, designers, administrative staff and Site managers.
The company requires a detailed system of policies and procedures to cover the safety requirements associated with a diverse range of administrative and mining activities. Mining processes include using overhead cranes and trucks, excavation equipment, dozers, blasting equipment, power tools and cutting equipment.
The WHS system includes:
(a) Standard operating procedures for all machines and equipment, which outline:
(b) Training and skills assessments required before any workers is permitted to operate machinery
(c) Safe operation of machinery including wearing protective clothing and using safety guards
(d) The annual shut-down period for full assessment and repair of all equipment using and maintaining personal protective equipment (PPE)
Storing and using hazardous substances ergonomic and repetitive work practices First-aid procedures and identifying first-aid officers in the worksite emergency evacuation procedures (g) Formal procedures for:
(h) Identifying and reporting hazards
Conducting WHS audits and safety inspections
Conducting risk assessments and implementing risk controls
You are the site manager and you have just met with your senior manager about concerns that workers have regarding WHS on the site. Your work area has reported a number of near misses in the past three months and there have also been five lost time incidents in the past six months. The safety performance of your work area is declining steadily and you must urgently address this issue.
Suggest three actions you would take immediately to start addressing declining WHS performance in your area. Explain why these actions are appropriate and how they could improve WHS performance on the site.
1. Identify any areas where you may require assistance from WHS experts or specialist resources. Why would you require this assistance and how could it help to improve WHS performance?
2. a range of workplace actions that could be implemented to enhance individual and team understanding of WHS responsibilities.
3. at least one improvement you could make on the current WHS procedure.
4. two methods you could use to assess the level of compliance with WHS legislative requirements and organisational policy and procedures in your work area. Why is this an important element of WHS performance?