Assignment 2 – Practical Assessment
Due date: Refer to Assignment Submission Box on VU Collaborate
Weighting: 30% of final grade
Coverage: This assessment item is based on course content in weeks 5- 11
Asia Pacific Tourism Association– APTA (http://apta.asia/) would like organize a series of conferences focusing on research topics in the area of travel and tourism. As a part of their operation, they need to organize annual conferences for researchers and industry practitioners to meet and present their work in 2018. You are appointed as an analyst programmer to develop a system to support the conference organization of APTA.
Your task is to investigate the operation of APTA and identify potential events or conferences through the provided link or any other resources available online. You will design and develop a conference management system for APTA that allows conference organizers to manage the events and registrations. The system should store conference/event details, organizers details for each conference, attendee details and their event registration.
Model Design Requirements
You are going to design a model to store data for your application with the following specification:
• You have freedom to design your own data architecture and properties for the classes, however it should reflect your understanding about complex entity relationships, including one-to-one, one-to-many, many-to-many, and inheritance.
• The application should store information for every class and relationship. Inheritance should be used to model classes with similar properties. For example, human being class may have common properties such as ID, Name, Contact details (email, phone, address, etc...). Besides, each unique class should also have its own properties. You should provide justification in your report, on the proposed classes, properties and their relationships stating why they are necessary.
• Appropriate data annotations and input validations should be provided in all model classes. You should customize your own error messages and NOT use the default error messages provided by the template.
An example model is provided in SampleDocument.pdf file (VU collaborate), to help you better understand how the application should be implemented. However, you must NOT use the provided model, as it is not suitable specifically for the case in this assignment.
Application Specific Requirements
• You are required to develop an ASP.NET MVC application.
• Home page shows assignment name, student full name student id and location (campus). Display the logo of the organization, on every page and link it to APTA website.
• Develop the Model Architecture appropriately to reflect your understanding of complex entity relationships.
• The database should be seeded with at least 3 records for each class using database initializer. So, when the application is deployed, there will always be 3 records shown for every class.
• All pages should have the logo and navigation menu. If user clicks on the logo, they will be directed to APTA website.
• You should present your web page professionally using your own design, NOT the same as in the sample website.
• Appropriate user interaction and navigation should be considered for your application.
• You application should be ready to run without any further configuration.
You are required to prepare a project documentation using Microsoft word. In this documentation should include:
• Background: Information about the organization and target user analysis must be provided. What are the functional requirements of the proposed system? What are the benefits of the system to the targeted organization/users? You should use your own writing for this part. Copying and pasting information from website will not award any marks.
• Data base design: Class Diagram showing classes, properties and relationships. Justification must be provided to explain why or how the proposed architecture is suitable for the case study.
• User manual: you should take screenshot and describe how user can navigate through your application, view records as well as performing admin functionality (create, edit, delete, assign etc.).
• Test instruction: to show and describe cases when user enter invalid information, how the application response with error message and instruction.
You are required to submit two separate files into submission box on VU Collaborate:
1. A word document containing Assignment Cover Sheet (provided on VU Collaborate) with your name and student ID, together with the documentation as specified above.
2. The application project packed as a single zip file.
(The document and the project should be submitted separately. Do not zip the document)
Your assignment will be marked based on the functionalities, the representation of the interface and the quality of the documentation.