BCO5501 Business Process Engineering
Assignment 2: BPM Article Review
Available Marks: 25% (Individual Assignment)
Due Date: Week 10
For this assignment you are to select and review an academic paper on Business Process Management. The paper you select must be directly relevant to business process engineering or business process management. You must identify at least 3 other relevant articles and use them to support your review. A possible source of papers are the Proceedings of the 11t h through 13th International Conference on Business Process Management (BPM) (see below), but the paper can be from any academic conference or other relevant Journal. All students must select a different paper, thus the paper must be approved by your lecturer before proceeding. In case two students are wanting to review the same paper the first who email the lecturer will be allocated that paper.
Your response should be limited to 2000 words (not including references). Use 1.5 spacing with a 12 point Times New Roman font. Though your paper will largely be based on the chosen article, you must use other sources to support your discussion. Citation of sources is mandatory and must be in the Harvard style.
Many students fail this assignment because they do not know or use the basic skills required for writing a review essay. Help on how to write a review essay is available via the Victoria University Website. Another site with helpful ideas is at: http://www.canberra.edu.au/studyskills/writing .
Your review report must include:
• Title Page: The title of the assignment, the name of the paper you are reviewing and its authors, and your name and student ID.
• Introduction: A statement of the purpose for your essay and a brief outline of how you will discuss the selected article (one or two paragraphs). Make sure to identify the article being reviewed.
• Body: Describe the intention and content of the article. If it is a research report, discuss the research method (survey, case study, observation, experiment, or other method) and findings. Comment on problems or issues highlighted by the authors. Discuss the conclusions of the article and how they are relevant to Business Process Management. Comparing ideas in the article you are reviewing to other articles discussing related topics will add significant strength to your paper. Note that it is expected that there will be many citations referring to the paper you are reviewing.
• Conclusion: A summary of the points you have made in the body of the paper. These should match your stated purpose. The conclusion should not introduce any ‘new’ material that was not discussed in the body of the paper. (One or two paragraphs)
• References: A list of sources used in your text. They should be listed alphabetically by (first) author’s family name. Follow the Harvard style.
The footer must include your name, student ID, and page number. The following links may assist in finding the required readings through the VU library (‘SpringerLink’ database):
A link to some VU Library suggested resources are: (however you are not limited to these resources). Consult library staff if there are problems with these resources
BPM 2015; LNCS Volume Number 9253, http://0-link.springer.com.library.vu.edu.au/book/10.1007/978-3-319-23063-4
BPM 2014; LNCS Volume Number 8659, http://0-link.springer.com.library.vu.edu.au/book/10.1007/978-3-319-10172-9
BPM 2013; LNCS Volume Number 8094, http://0-link.springer.com.library.vu.edu.au/book/10.1007/978-3-642-40176-3
• Your assignment must be submitted via the Turnitin link provided on VU Collaborate as a single pdf file.
BCO5501 Business Process Engineering Assignment 2
This form must be completed, signed, dated and attached to each assessment task that you submit for marking.
COLLEGE OF BUSINESS
1. ADMINISTRATIVE DETAILS (TO BE COMPLETED BY STUDENTS)
STUDENT NAME: STUDENT ID NUMBER:
DATE DUE: DATE SUBMITTED:
TEACHER/TUTORS NAME: TUTORIAL/CLASS TIME:
2. ASSESSMENT CRITERIA (TO BE COMPLETED BY LECTURER)
Paper has an identified purpose (5 marks) Mark
i) Identifies the paper under review (1) ii) States the purpose of the student essay (2) iii) Is refined and clearly stated (1)
iv) Provides an overview of the papers being discussed (1)
Body of paper has appropriate content (15 marks)
i) Contains appropriate material (2) ii) Presents a well-structured discussion (2) iii) Uses material from other authors (3)
iv) Summarises and discusses the content of the article(s) (4) v) Identifies and discusses the article’s conclusions (4)
References & Grammar (5 marks)
i) Citations are indicated correctly (Harvard) (2) ii) Grammatical expression is satisfactory (3)
Total Score 25
Feedback on meeting related Graduate Capabilities (GCs):
GC 1b GC 1c GC 2b GC 2c GC 2d