Assessment task 3 – Reflective Practice Assignment
Part A: Powerpoint Presentation (10 slides)
Part B: Reflective Essay (max 1000 words)
Objectives This assessment task relates to course learning outcomes 4,5,6
4. Evaluate the complex role of globalisation
5. Analyse the roles of ethics and social responsibility in the business environment.
Before starting this assessment read the information and marking criteria set out below. Please also review the rubric for this assessment which is downloadable from the Moodle site.
The purpose of this assessment item is to assess students’ ability to formulate a;
• Powerpoint presentation; and
• A reflective essay that requires analysis and evaluation, which will involve drawing on scholarly sources and referencing those sources.
The purpose is also to develop the students’ skills in analytical and critical thinking, information literacy and communication to an intermediate level. Other graduate attributes such as problem solving, information technology competence, cross cultural competence and ethical practice will be assessed at an introductory level.
Description – Part A
Your Powerpoint presentation will focus on the family company, Bundaberg Brewed Drinks which is an existing real world successful private Australian company with an export focus. The company grew rapidly since its formation in the 1960s. During this growth stage, the company has expanded its operations in the global market. Bundaberg Brewed Drinks is a real Australian company and the company’s managers have provided the questions for the first element of your assessment, the Powerpoint presentation.
The managers at Bundaberg Brewed Drinks would like to review the five highest marked student assessments (Assessment 3 only) for this Unit so that they continue the conversation with these students.
Part A of the assessment should be written in the third person passive style.
The Bundaberg Brewed Drinks managers would like the following addressed in your Powerpoint presentation.
• A slide introducing yourself to Bundaberg Brewed Drinks (one slide only);
• A summarised history of Bundaberg Brewed Drinks (one slide only);
• Global challenges currently facing the company while operating from regional Australia;
• A summary of recent developments in global markets for Bundaberg Brewed Drinks particularly the social responsibility of sugar levels included in carbonated beverages; and
• Critically evaluate the social responsibility of Bundaberg Brewed Drinks in relation to the sugar content of its carbonated non-alcoholic beverages?
To answer the questions above you will have to rely on the learning presented in the twelve weekly instalments during the Unit. For example, for your response to ‘A summary of recent developments in global markets for Bundaberg Brewed Drinks particularly the social responsibility of sugar levels included in carbonated beverages’ you will have to determine the impact of the complex role of globalisation in recent years on the company and draw on the learning from week six, eight and nine.
MAKE A DETAILS POWERPOINT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN WITH SIDENOTE THAT I CAN READ AND RECORD VOICE IN POWERPOINT LATER! BECAUSE IT WILL BE NARRATED USING MY VOICE SO PLEASE DO A GOOD POWERPOINT AND THE RECORD I WILL DO IT AFTER I GOT YOUR POWERPOINT DONE. JUST MAKE SURE YOU NORE OUT ALL THE THINGS, POWERPOINT SLIDE NEED TO BE NICE AND NOT TOO MUCH WORDS ON SLIDE! INTERESTING AND DETAILS AS WELL WITH PICTURE!
The first of the 8-10 slides should contain a professional business introduction
The final slide should contain your ‘Reference List’ prepared in accordance with CQU APA Referencing Guide (please see - https://www.cqu.edu.au/student-life/services-andfacilities/referencing/cquniversity-referencing-guides).
Your Powerpoint slide presentation should be between 8-10 slides but no greater than 10 slides. Your slide presentation should be referenced using the CQU APA Referencing Guide.
You need to provide at least 8 scholarly references to pass with a minimum of three peer reviewed academic journals appearing on your reference list.
Description – Part B
Your Reflective Essay asks you to reflect on your own experience when writing and completing the Powerpoint presentation from Part A of this assessment.
Reflection is all about deepening your learning. By reflecting, you are able to:
• get to know your own strengths and weaknesses
• discover your own underlying assumptions – and challenge them
• make connections between your own experience and what you are learning - learn from your mistakes – and thus become a better practitioner.
Your own thoughts, feelings, experiences and ideas are central to reflective writing. Therefore, Part B of the assessment should be written in the first person style.
Your submission should contain a clear structure with an introduction, body and conclusion, it should use formal language and omit colloquial language, contain correct grammar and spelling and it should draw on scholarly references.
Your Reflective Essay should answer the following questions;
• Describe the experience of writing the Powerpoint presentation by outlining how you put the presentation together?
• Analyse the experience. What was it about the experience that made you think? How did it make you feel?
• Was there something about it that challenged your ideas about what you’ve learned? Or did it reinforce those ideas? How did your experience fit with the literature you’ve been reading, or with the course materials?
• Evaluate the experience. Was it overall a positive or a negative experience for you? What will you draw from it?
Your Reflective Essay needs to be at least 1000 words and be referenced using the CQU APA Referencing Style Guide. You need to provide at least eight scholarly references to pass with a minimum of three peer reviewed academic journals appearing on your reference list.
The ideal references for this task would be references that refer to the learning in the Unit. For example, if you were interested in Week One’s Mintzberg’s Managerial Roles – then you could do some research on this at the library and find a scholarly source and reference that material in your assessment discussing how your understanding of management was increased through use of the learning from this model.
The first thing is to reflect on the things that mattered to you in the Unit – the things that made you think and read more about the topic – when reading more you will use the ‘Library Search’ function. Record the research you did at the library. This research then becomes the reference for this assessment task.