Accounting for Corporate Structure (ACCT 603)
Semester 1 2018
Dr Waleed Abdel-Qader
Peter Faber Business School
Australian Catholic University
Critically evaluate the Australian requirements for accounting for business combinations.
In your discussion you should specifically address the following issues:
• The significance of the reporting entity concept in accounting for business combinations
• The implications of the requirement to use the acquisition method of accounting for business combinations
• The determination of fair values of assets in a business combination
• The reasons for the choice of fair value to measure assets and liabilities acquired in a business combination
• The treatment of directly attributable costs in a business combination
• Accounting treatment of gains on bargain purchases
• The nature and treatment of goodwill arising on a business combination.