Becoming a Professional
Session 1, 2018
Management Issues Assignment
Department of Marketing and Management
FACULTY OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS
Management Issues Assignment
There are many management issues that are regularly discussed in the media and are also the subject of academic review. In this assignment, you are required to choose one (1) of the topics provided below and write a review of current thinking that is available on the subject and prepare that review in the form of a report to the Board of Directors.
As part of that review, it is expected that you will come to a personal conclusion as to the way you would like to manage the chosen issue in a company where you are the CEO – this will be in the form of your recommendations.
As the format is a Report, an Executive Summary, recommendations and conclusion are required. A minimum of 5 peer-reviewed academic articles and 5 other sources (newspaper stories, TV news reports, videos or management texts) must be used to guide you to your conclusions.
• Blending different generational groups in the workforce
• Sexual harassment
• Gender Pay inequity
• Contractual workers Vs Fulltime employees
• Work – Life balance (working from home)
The expected word count is 3,000 words with a +/-10% allowable variance.
This assessment is due in class in hard copy in your regular session in Week 9 and you should submit it to Turnitin on iLearn by 11:55pm on Friday May 11th. No extensions will be granted. Late tasks will be accepted up to 72 hours after the submission deadline. There will be a deduction of 10% of the total available marks made from the total awarded mark for each 24 hour period or part thereof that the submission is late (for example, 25 hours late in submission – 20% penalty). This penalty does not apply for cases in which an application for Special Consideration is made and approved.
Student Name ……………………………………… Student ID: …………………………………..
Topic area HD
0-49% Max Marks Actual
Structure of content Document is exceptionally clear with easy to read flow of information Document is clear with easy to read flow of information Document is clear but lacks continuity of idea flow Document is not easy to follow however components are covered Document is poorly structured with little cohesion from one area to the next 4
Depth of analysis Level and depth of analysis to a very high standard in addressing key questions Level and depth of analysis to a high standard in addressing key questions Level and depth of analysis to a good standard in addressing key questions Level and depth of analysis to a satisfactory standard in addressing key questions Limited level and depth of analysis in addressing key questions 20
Recommend-ation to Management Goals reflect thoughtful, valuable and long term improvement Goals reflect appropriate importance for long term achievement Goals are clear and will bring benefit Goals are stated but not clearly beneficial in longer term Poor definition and value of listed goals 6
Appropriate Research Minimum of 10 cited works related to subject Minimum of 10 cited works but not all appropriate Less than 10 cited works Less than 8 cited works Inappropriate and insufficient cited works 6
Grammar, spelling & presentation Excellent professional presentation with no errors of spelling or grammar Good quality professional presentation with maximum of 1 error of spelling or grammar Good quality professional presentation with maximum of 3 errors of spelling or grammar Average quality presentation with errors of spelling and or grammar Poor quality presentation with errors of spelling and or grammar throughout 4
General Standards As Applied To This Assignment
85-100% The student demonstrates the competencies in Distinction standard and in addition demonstrates;
• Insightful and comprehensive identification and discussion of key trends concerning the specialist topic. Advanced understanding of the relevant theory related leading to defensible generalizations.
• Demonstrates capacity to use new insights to critically appraise ideas and arguments, draws well-supported conclusions, and applies relevant theory.
• Uses creative examples, possible extensions, and applications of theory.
• The work has been well written with perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation.
75-84% The student demonstrates the competencies in Credit standard and in addition;
• Demonstrates selectivity and uses judgment in determining the importance of key trends and ideas.
• Shows evidence of wide reading and synthesis of ideas.
• Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of the relevant trends and issues
• The work has been written and presented to a high academic standard,
The student demonstrates the competencies in Pass standard, and in addition;
• Demonstrates the understanding of key trends, and issues.
• Demonstrates a sound capacity to appraise ideas and arguments, to draw satisfactory conclusions
• May sometimes lapse into description rather than providing analysis and evaluation.
• Provides a satisfactorily structured, work which is clearly written and grammatically accurate in terms of spelling. Some significant improvements needed
The student demonstrates the following;
• Most of the key concepts and issues in the topic are identified and discussed. Conveys a basic understanding of the relevant trends and issues
• The work demonstrates a satisfactory capacity to appraise ideas and arguments.
• The work provides little or no evidence of critical analysis and may simply restate or describe. The work is not synthesized or integrated and lacks depth of analysis.
• May demonstrate a narrow focus.
• The work is presented with sufficient coherence and clarity for the reader to understand the ideas and arguments being proposed. Improvements to writing such as structure, grammar and referencing are required Argument/discussion has some flaws.
0-49% The student may demonstrate some or all of the following;
• Has not identified key trends concerning the specialist topic. Conveys little evidence of understanding of relevant issues.
• Demonstrates a failure to identify the issues and trends.
• The work demonstrates little understanding or appreciation of standards required for academic writing. Improvements in terms of clarity, grammar, spelling, quotations, referencing or presentation are required to achieve an acceptable standard.
• Argument/discussion is fundamentally flawed.
• Assessment is not handed in on time.
The Skills and Capabilities Audit Tool was developed by Dr Theresa Winchester-Seeto from the Macquarie University Learning and Teaching Centre 2012.