34205/03 Project E1100
HLT35015 Certificate III in Dental Assisting
Module 5: Communication & Administration
This is assessment 3 of 3
Once you are a qualified dental assistant, your journey in the dental industry has just begun. Identifying your current knowledge, and where you have strengths and areas for improvement is a continual process throughout your career. Being able to continually improve your knowledge will not only benefit you, but the care that you provide to patients and your effectiveness as a valuable team member.
For this assessment, you will be completing a Professional Development plan to prepare you for your new career as a dental assistant. The questions in this assessment will require you to reflect on your own knowledge and perceptions, to assist you to develop a plan for continual improvement in your dental assisting role.
Please attempt all questions and pay attention to the word count indicators (where provided). Refer to the assessment rubric at the end of the assessment template to assist you in completing satisfactory responses.
Please submit this assessment in Word doc format.
To do list:
1. Write your name and student ID in the space provided at the top of this page.
2. Read the background/overview and brief sections of this document.
3. Write your answers in the spaces provided in each question.
4. Save the Word document using the naming convention: your student number_assessment number.doc. For example: “12345678_31135_01.doc.”
5. Upload your document in Open Space using the relevant Assessment Upload link in this Module.
This assessment is split into 4 parts:
Complete the following project:
• Your written answers should be approximate 50-100 words in length (+/-10%) per question. The word count is a guideline and you can present your answers in narrative or bullet point format.
• Ensure you acknowledge and cite your sources accordingly – this is important whether you use your own words or another writer’s. You can review the Academic Referencing Guide in your student handbook.
Professional Development Plan
Part A – Responsibilities in the Dental Practice
1. Consider your responsibilities as a dental assistant when responding to the following questions:
1.1 Explain your role in the dental practice, and the duty of care you have towards both patients and team members.
1.2 What considerations do you apply to patient privacy and confidentiality?
1.3 Consider your own limitations in self and social awareness, and describe how this may impact your interaction with dental patients.
2. Consider the responsibility of workers, employers and allied health care teams when responding to the following questions:
2.1 List the team members in your dental practice, and a brief description of their role:
2.2 What is the relationship and function of external allied health care for dental patients?
2.3 Provide two examples (provide URL link if applicable) to external other support services which dental patients may require:
3. Provide the name or link to the resource you would consult if you needed information in the dental practice:
3.1 Mandatory reporting
3.3 Infection Control
3.4 Work Health & Safety
3.5 Code of Conduct
3.6 Patient records & confidentiality
Part B – Communication & Diversity in the Dental Practice
1. Explain the principles underpinning person-centred delivery of health care, and how this relates to rights-based service delivery in the dental practice.
2. In consideration of Universal declaration of human rights, explain the principles of access and equity and how this is approached in the delivery of dental care.
3. Reflect on the impact of diversity within the dental practice, and explain how this may influence you own experience in:
3.1 personal behaviour
3.2 interpersonal relationships
3.4 social expectations of others
4. What action you would take if the rights and responsibilities were infringed for:
4.1 A patient
4.2 An employee
4.3 An employer
5. Provide an example for each of the above, where a breach in standard procedures could apply, resulting in an adverse event or conflict of interest.
Part C – Continuous improvement
1. Consider your role in the dental practice, and how you can contribute to identifying and voicing improvements in work practices. Provide an example of a work practice you could improve to meet legal and ethical responsibilities.
2. Review the current accreditation standards applicable to the dental industry, and briefly explain how these differ between the public and private dental system.
3. Reflect on your own skills and knowledge you have in the dental assistant role, and research skills development opportunities which you feel could benefit you.
4. Assessment Rubric
Below is a rubric that determines whether your answers and knowledge is satisfactory or unsatisfactory.
To be deemed satisfactory, and to pass the assessment, you must complete the requirements for the column that is titled ‘satisfactory’.
It is advisable to read the rubric for the question you are answering to determine if you have fully answered the question to the correct standard.
Not yet satisfactory
Dental Assistant Explains the responsibilities of the dental assistant and illustrates the legal & ethical considerations when interacting with patients Unable to explains the responsibilities of the dental assistant and cannot illustrates the legal & ethical considerations when interacting with patients
Health Care Team Identifies the structure, function and interrelationships between dental team members & different parts of the health care system Does not identify the structure, function and interrelationships between dental team members & different parts of the health care system
Dental Resources Identifies the correct resource in accordance with dental guidelines and policies Cannot identify the correct resource in accordance with dental guidelines and policies
Person-Centred Care Explains person-centred care, and how this applies to rights-based service in the dental practice Unable to explain person-centred care, and does not apply this to rights-based service in the dental practice
Human rights Correct reference to the Universal declaration of human rights to explain the frameworks and approaches used in the provision of dental care. Incorrect reference to the Universal declaration of human rights, does not explain the frameworks and approaches used in the provision of dental care.
Diversity reflection Able to identify diversity in the dental practice, and how this impacts their own experience Unable to identify diversity in the dental practice, and does not know how this impacts their own experience
Reporting Correctly explains the reporting process if the rights and responsibilities of an individual are invaded Incorrectly explains the reporting process if the rights and responsibilities of an individual are invaded
Adverse events Able to identify situations where adverse events may occur in the dental practice Unable to identify situations where adverse events may occur in the dental practice
Part C Part B
Workplace Improvements Identifies an area which can be improved in work practices, and explains how they could implement the improvement Cannot identify an area which can be improved in work practice, and does not explain how they could implement the improvement
Quality Management Identifies & explains the different accreditation requirements in the dental industry Does not identify & cannot explain the different accreditation requirements in the dental industry
Self-Improvement Able to reflect on own skills and knowledge, and choose appropriate professional development opportunities. Unable to reflect on own skills and knowledge, and does not choose appropriate professional development opportunities.
Word counts As per tasks
Plagiarism All the student’s work is original and sourced where appropriate.
Referencing Appropriate referencing conventions are used.
5. Units of Competency
This assessment meets the following units of competency:
CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
HLTDEN003 Assist with administration dental practice
All terms mentioned in this text that are known to be trademarks or service marks have been appropriately capitalised. Use of a term in this text should not be regarded as affecting the validity of any trademark or service mark.
© Open Colleges Pty Ltd, 2016. All rights reserved. No part of the material protected by this copyright may be reproduced or utilised in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.