FACULTY OF HIGHER EDUCATION
HS2011 Systems Analysis & Design
Trimester 1 2018
Date Due: Friday Week 6 by 5:00 PM Marks: Weighting 15%
Individual Assignment Requirements
Suggested word limit: 2000 – 2500 words
Component Weighting: 15%
Due Date: 5pm Friday Week 6
Submission format: Soft copy of a Word.docx to be uploaded on
Blackboard through 'Assignments and due dates' menu
The aim of this assignment is to produce a requirements document that captures the functional requirements for an information system that supports the current needs of the Holmes School management system as described later in the Case Study Description.
Read the case carefully and if students need more detail either about the business or the assignment, they should talk to the lecturer or tutors, preferably before starting the task during the tutorial classes.
The Report Components
You have been contracted by Holmes School to determine what type of information system they need and its requirements. The initial contract specifies the following documentation:
• Scope, Functional & Non-functional Requirements, Project Feasibility, Use Cases and Descriptions and Activity Diagrams as illustrated in the below table.
Task 1 – Project Scope
Using the case study provided, develop a system scope document (Create a wordprocessed business report). This report must include a section for each of the followings:
• Document Title
• Author(s) information
• List of contents
What this assignment is about and what you want to achieve.
• Why conduct system analysis and design for a business?
• The purpose of your work
• The structure of your report
• Where you collect data and information for completing the report?
• What is the business and what does this business do? (a brief description of their current business operation, products and services.)
• What is the key business problem you consider they need to deal with? There are several problems listed but you should select the one which you consider the most important for the business. Explain why it is important and what are some of the opportunities if they solve the problem?
• Written statement of key functional/non-functional requirements for the current system.
Ensure you use business language and write in the third person (i.e. do not use I or we).
Task 2 – FURPS+ requirements AND Project Feasibility
Develop a professionally formatted document outlining the system’s Functional and Non-functional requirements. This can be either in the form of a table or some other format that you have researched. Functionality, Usability, Reliability, Performance, and Supportability. Economic, Technical, Operational, Scheduling Legal and contractual, and Political.
Task 2 – Use Case Diagram
Create a Use Case diagram for the system, showing all actors, use cases and associations.
Task 3 – Use Case Descriptions
Produce 2 detailed Use Case descriptions using Use Cases from your Use Case diagram. You are advised to focus on the more ‘complex’ use cases so show depth of understanding
Task 4 – Activity Diagram
Produce an activity Diagram to match each of the 2 fully described Use Cases described above
ASSESSMENT 1 CRITERIA
NA Poor Fair Good Very Good Excellent
The Scope Document Business problem, Statement of purpose, Benefits, System capabilities (3 marks)
Document Functional requirements comprehensive and reasonable (3 marks)
Non-functional requirements comprehensive and reasonable
Use Case diagram Use Case Diagram [correct symbols , Actors, subsystem] (3 marks)
Descriptions Correct level of detail which reflects the events and process of the use case (3 marks)
Activity Diagram Correct Format with all sections, Swim Lanes and Logic (3 marks)
Total Out of 15