This assessment consists of three questions assessing the basic understanding of virtualisation and related concepts. This assessment covers the following learning outcomes:
• be able to list and explain the importance of different virtualisation technologies for x86 and UNIX based platforms;
• be able to evaluate which virtualisation technology should be used in a given set of requirements; and
• be able to discuss and evaluate the requirements for effective VM management
This assessment item requires you to produce a short report by investigating and advising a company on some key topics and aspects of the use of virtualisation technologies.
ACL Realty is a large real estate firm. Their core competence is their understanding of the real estate market, and their understanding of their customers and the customer needs.
Their current IT support staff have had little exposure to virtualisation and it has been decided that you need to train them in some basic use of virtualisation.
You will need to download the following software:
• VirtualBox 5.2.4 or later from
• Ubuntu 16.04.03 or later, from
• PowerISO 7.0 or later from
You are to produce an instruction manual that describes:
1. How to install VirtualBox on a PC. This instruction manual must:
a. Describe all the steps that are required to install VirtualBox 5.2.x on a PC or Mac.
b. Include screen shots of each step of the process, along with any explanatory text required to ensure that the user can follow the instructions without any problems.
2. How to create a VM in VirtualBox that runs a specified operating system. The operating system to be installed is Ubuntu 16.04.3, or later. This part of the instruction manual must:
a. Describe how to mount the Ubuntu .iso file as a virtual drive using PowerISO (or similar software),
b. Describe how to create a Ubuntu VM in VirtualBox. This description must include:
a. Screen shots of each step of the VM creation process, and
b. Full explanatory text so that a user could follow the instructions without problems.
c. Describe how you would do basic VM management on the Ubuntu VM, such as increase RAM and disk size.
Your instruction manual should be specific for the machine and operating system on which you are installing VirtualBox. So if your personal machine is a Windows 10 machine, or a Mac, then your instruction manual should concentrate on that particular OS only.
You are not required to run anything on the Ubuntu VM that you create.
This section should contain main body of the report. It should discuss all tasks / challenges asked in the case study. You should have subsections that answers each task. Support your answers with solid literature (in-text citations), diagrams and figures (if applicable). All diagrams and figures must have an appropriate caption.
You must cite your references using the APA 6th edition referencing style for all material you have used as sources for the content of your work.
A glossary should assist the reader in understanding any technical terms used in the report. Use a generally accepted source for the definition of the terms and include appropriate referencing.