Assessment item 2
Packet Tracer IoT Smart Office
Submission method options
Alternative submission method
You have just joined as an IoT Architect at Ingenious IoT. The first project you have been tasked with is the setup of a demo IoT Smart Office, with a link to the company offices. The project is divided into 2 parts:
1. Create a smart office with the criteria and devices given.
2. Control these smart devices from the branch office which is in the same city.
The Main Smart Office includes, but is not limited to the following smart devices:
• Ceiling Fan
• Front Door Lock
• Motion Detector
• Lawn Sprinkler System
• Smoke Detector
• Temperature Monitor
• Anemometer (Wind Speed Detector)
These devices are linked to a Wireless Router, which is linked via an Ethernet cable to a Cable Modem. The modem is connected to the Internet via an ISP known as Optras. All the devices registered on the Remote Server can be controlled locally by a Tablet which is also connected to the wireless network. There is a Remote Server connected to the Company's Cloud Cluster service (run by Sky Servers), as well as an external server that the Smart office uses for backups.
Ensure that you add all necessary screenshots with the documentation as well as the packet tracer file to be presented to the manager for project approval.
Build and configure a smart office. (Refer to the file on the Student Resources named Assignment_2_Help). Start the smart office from the basic file, available from the link below:
Save the file as StudentID_Firstname_ITC560.pkt (using your own student ID and first name).
All screenshots for each step with a brief explanation must be included in the document. Once the Assignment is complete, the student must embed the packet tracer file as an object in the word document as StudentID_Firstname_ITC560.pkt
1. Add, connect, enable and configure the registration server, tablet and wireless router as shown in the diagram below (15 marks)
2.i. Add, configure the smart devices mentioned in the case study and name these as given in the diagram below. Note that these devices should be connected to a wireless router wirelessly and should be encrypted using AES by using WPA-PSK (PSK pass phrase must be only your student ID) (15 marks)
ii. Connect and activate the devices with username and password as Student ID only.(15 marks)
3. Set up all the smart device attributes through the tablet web browser for the devices to work as shown in the diagram below. (15 marks)
4. Show the protocols that are used in transmitting a simple PDU from the tablet to the Server. (10 marks)
Add a new branch office in the same city. Either move the same tablet to the branch office or use your smart phone and connect to the main smart office server. You can use any connecting and intermediary devices of your choice. Log on to the web browser on your tablet/smart phone and manage the devices. (30 marks)
Use your tablet/smart phone to:
• Turn off the Sprinkler
• Turn off the ceiling fan
• Lock the door
• Dim the lamp
• Turn on the smoke alarm
• Turn on the motion detector
• Turn on the wind detector
This assessment covers the following learning outcomes:
• be able to explain and demonstrate various components of Internet of Things (IoT);
• be able to analyse the role and importance of IoT in the modern world;
• be able to investigate and propose various requirements of IoT for real world applications.