• Explain how the lived experience of Sandy Jeffs, as told through stories and poetry, enable mental health professionals to align their practice with the recovery principles as outlined in the National Recovery framework for recovery orientated mental health services.
In your discussion you need to address the following:
o The concept of the lived experience of mental health and illness;
o The concept of recovery in the experience of mental health and illness;
o An outline of the main ideas from the National framework for recovery-oriented mental health services: guide for practitioners and providers;
o Provide examples from the work of Sandy Jeffs to illustrate your argument about how mental health professionals can implement recovery orientated practice.
o You must, at a minimum, refer to the two poems by Sandy Jeffs, and the audio-visual link, located with this question on the LEO site.
o Links have been placed on LEO to the Department Health site A National framework for recovery-oriented mental health services: guide for practitioners and providers. You must access this document but you may access other academic sources to support your discussion.
• A useful resource for the essayFile 123KB PDF document
Principles of recovery orientated mental health practice.
PDF document and link to the Dept. Health site.
Sandy Jeffs has used poetry, and storytelling to share her lived experience of mental health and illness.
• She is a prize-winning poet and author who has lived with schizophrenia for 35 years. This film was created by George Clipp for Tell Me A Story, a digital storytelling project of Something In Common and the Australian Human Rights Commission
• ABC OPEN:Bearing Witness from Speak Your Mind, written by and about Sandy Jeffs.
• Street poetry reading (spoken words) from Sandy JeffsIn -Medicated-, Jeffs converts the names of her 21 successive or simultaneous medications into verbs.
o 'Medicated'- poem in written words
o . 'Medicated' was published in 2015 in a collection of poems by Sandy Jeffs: Jeffs, S (2015). The Mad Poets Tea Party. North Melbourne, Vic.:Spinifex
• Sandy Jeffs poetry reading (spoken words) for The Crazy Chicks Showcase at the Epsy-
o Jeffs, S. (2002). A Thesaurus of Madness. In Jeffs, S, Poems from the madhouse (2nd ed.).(pp 77-78) North Melbourne, Vic.: Spinifex. Poem in written words (pp 77-78).
The lived experience of people like Sandy Jeffs is the focus of, and reflected in, policy documents like the National framework for recovery-oriented mental health services: guide for practitioners and providers (http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/mental-pubs-n-recovgde )
Explain how the lived experience of Sandy Jeffs, as told through stories and poetry, enable