Program Bachelor of Business
William Blue College of Hospitality Management APM College of Business and Communication
Code and Subject HRM101 Introduction to HR and Leadership
Assessment Activity/Discussions - Assessment 1
Group or Individual Individual – 400 words for each discussion (Total 2000 words)
Learning Outcomes A, B, C, D, E and F
Submission Date Weeks 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10
Total Marks 100 marks
Weighting (8% each) 40% in Total
• This assessment facilitates exploratory learning through reviewing and responding to the work of others and approaches learning in diverse ways
• Empowers students to express themselves with positive reinforcement from interactions on the discussion forum
• Allows time for thoughtful reflection on topics covered in this subject
• Read the questions on pages 2 under the appropriate week
• Answer the questions in approximately 400 words per discussion
• Submit your answer in the appropriate week’s discussion forum, THEN
• Respond and engage constructively with at least two of your peers
• The completed submission will be graded using the Learning Rubric on page 3
• Theory is supported with appropriate references that are cited correctly both in-text and in the reference list according to APA 6th referencing. The Academic Writing Guide is located in the LASU pages (LASU – Learning and Academic Skills Unit).
Week 2 Discussion Questions:
1. What is HRM?
2. What is its importance to an organisation?
3. What is its importance to employees?
Week 4 Discussion
The main legislative act relating to employee relations and industrial relations in Australia is the Fair Work Act 2009. This has been supplemented and built on with the Fair Work Amendment Act 2017
1. Describe four (4) key elements of the Fair Work Act
2. Discuss how each of the above benefits either the employee or employer
Week 6 Discussion
It is essential to create a diversity-driven, productive workplace where employees from many cultures can perform at their full capacity while also leading fulfilling lives away from their work and career.
1. Discuss what cultural factors come into play when introducing job sharing into organisations in an Australian context
2. Discuss the benefits for employee and employer
Week 8 Discussion
1. Review at least two recruitment strategies (e.g. external recruitment consultant, LinkedIn, Facebook) and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
2. Provide additional comments on the privacy issues relating to the methods chosen above
Week 10 Discussion
1. Discuss the purpose performance appraisals serve within an organisation
2. How can HR manager ensure the experience of appraisals for employees is positive?
Theory used is accurately explained and applied to support answers /40
33-40 25-32 17-24 9-16 1-8 0
All responses to questions are supported with relevant theoretical knowledge that is explained correctly and integrated seamlessly into the answer to the question. All responses to question are supported with relevant theoretical knowledge that is explained correctly BUT not integrated well into the answer Majority of responses to questions are supported with relevant theoretical knowledge. Explanation of theory has minor errors or clarity issues, but integrated well in the answer Majority of responses to questions are supported with relevant theoretical knowledge that is explained with minor clarity issues and not integrated into the answer Majority of responses are NOT supported with relevant theoretical knowledge OR majority of theory used is explained incorrectly. No response to questions is supported with
theoretical knowledge OR Responses are supported with theoretical knowledge that is not relevant to the response OR explained incorrectly.
Responses are accurately and clearly communicated /25
20-25 15-19 10-14 5-9 1 - 4 0
All responses provide a direct and accurate answer the question that is communicated clearly with no grammatical or spelling errors Majority of responses provide a direct and accurate answer to the question that is clearly
communicated with minor grammatical or spelling errors Majority of responses provide a direct and accurate answer to the question but the communication lacks clarity OR has major grammatical or spelling errors Responses have an implied answer to the question asked but do not directly answer the question OR
communication is poor with major spelling or
grammatical errors Majority of responses do not answer the
question asked AND communication is unclear with minor spelling and grammatical errors. Majority of responses do not answer the question asked AND are not communicated
clearly with major spelling and grammatical errors
Engaging with others /25
20-25 15-19 10-14 5-9 1 - 4 0
Demonstrates analysis of other posts; extends meaningful discussion to 3 or more participants by building on previous posts. Elaborates on 3 or more existing postings with further comment or observation. Posts contribution that enriches the discussion to 2 or more participants. Posts shallow contribution to 2 participants discussion (e.g., agrees or disagrees); does not enrich discussion. Posts information to participants that is off-topic, incorrect, or irrelevant to discussion. Posts no followup responses to others.
Appropriate references that are cited correctly /10
10 8 6 4 2 0
Both in-text and reference list citations are used perfectly according to the Think: Education standards In-text and reference list citations used accurately but have minor errors according to the Think: Education Standards. Referencing style used is used correctly but is not the referencing style required according to the Think: Education
In-text and reference list citations are present but do not follow a particular referencing framework Either in-text or reference list citations are not used. No in-text or reference list citations used.
Total mark / 100