Assessment item 1
Due date: 14-Mar-2018
Return date: 06-Apr-2018
Submission method options
Alternative submission method
Assessment 1 is a low value (10%), progress check-in on Assessment Item 2 - the innovation audit of your workplace or organisation of choice. It also provides the opportunity for you to share with your fellow students what you are learning about innovation as well as the background and capabilities of the organisation you are examining.
Understanding the focus of the various assessment tasks in MKT520
Assessments 1 & 2 and Assessment 3 & 4 are complementary. You can use the same organisation for all assignments but if you prefer you can choose a different organisation for the later 2 assignments.
My first piece of advice is to look at both sets of assignments together and see the clear differences. A2 has a focus on innovation (dealt with in the first half of the subject) whereas A3 has a focus on new product development practices. So please do not focus on the new product development process in assessment items 1 & 2.
Your task is to create a webpage (using Padlet or Weebly*) that very clearly and concisely reports on selected aspects of the innovation capabilities of the organisation you will be critically evaluating in assessment 2.
On your webpage you should:
• provide (concise) relevant information on your organisation
• present three issues relating to innovation that you are focusing on in your written report
• explain the importance of these issues to your chosen organisation
Consider whether any/all of your three identified issues are shaped by the context of your organisation- its size, types of products, types of consumers, nature of the industry etc.
Your webpage should be visually appealing. Consider how you can use multimedia (including images, charts or diagrams, videos and more) to represent your ideas or key issues clearly and concisely, but without oversimplifying NPD concepts. Your page should be informative and engaging, structured clearly to make it attractive and easily understandable by your audience.
Your webpage should stand-alone from your written report (Assessment 2), which is to be submitted at a later date. Referencing, where necessary, should be APA-6 Style. For details of referencing requirements see the user friendly CSU referencing guide https://apps.csu.edu.au/reftool/apa-6 Your reference list can be a created as a link from your main web page.
When working with images online it is also important that you respect copyright. This CSU library guide contains useful information for you on using images in your assessment items. libguides.csu.edu.au/using-images-at-university
To make your job easier, you can use your own images or do an advanced search in Google images so that you limit your search to images that are -free to use, share or modify, even commerically-. See details: https://webtegrity.com/our-blog/seo-tips/can-i-use-google-images-for-free-on-my-website-or-blog/ . When you select Images in a Google search - click on Settings (RHS under camera icon) select Advanced searchand near the bottom of page you will see usage rights. Select for images that are free to use. (I also select for colour on this page if I am working for an integrated colour scheme!).
*Padlet and Weebly are easy to use tools for building a webpage (even if you have NO prior experience in creating a webpasge.. Instructions on how to use these tools (along with further advice on this assessment) will be available in the resources section of Interact by 12th February. If you wish to use an alternative tool, please discuss this with your subject coordinator prior to commencing your work.
• Carefully read through assessment items 1 and 2 as they are linked.
• Start reading about innovation. Your textbook (particulary chapters 1 and 4 and chapter 15 for service innovation) and the subject readings will get you going. Several additional references will be placed in resources in the MKT520 subject site to assist you further.
• If you choose to focus on a service, you will need to look at literature on service innovation but you may still also find useful and relevant material on innovation as it relates to physical goods.
• Make sure you are able to clearly define innovation
• From your reading on innovation, start selecting key elements for your framework, choosing those most relevant for chosen organisation.
Please note that different frameworks will be developed by different students but they will generally share some common elements.
This task ensures that you get to share your workplace learning and observe challenges in innovation management in a diverse range of organisations. You will also learn to use Weebly – a tool that allows you to create and creatively share your knowledge and enhance your digital literacy.
This task aligns with subject learning outcomes 1 and 2:
• to be able to critically reflect on the role of innovation in organisations and the challenges companies face in new product development.
• to be able to synthesise innovation literature to develop a theoretical framework for use in an audit of innovation practices of a specific organisation and make recommendations for improvement.