Value: 15% of term mark
Assignment posting date: January 19, 2018
In-class hard copy submission: February 2, 2018 by end of class
Soft copy submission via Safeassign: February 2, 2018 by noon
Find a company that has been impacted – financially or in reputation – by an issue which should/could have been minimized or avoided by more proactive HR attention.
1. Locate the news article describing the issue. Articles sourced must be from between January 2017 to January 2018 and be from a Canadian news source. Examples of news sources include: The Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, National Post, CBC News, Macleans magazine. Article must be of sufficient length – that is, no one paragraph articles.
2. Explain the issue. Briefly summarize the newspaper article that you have chosen (no more than one-half page)
3. Describe how this article provides an illustration of the impact of the HR practice (or lack thereof) on business brand, results and actions. (one half page)
4. Research the HR discipline identified in the article, or most fitting to the issue. Choose two articles from either business magazines or HR journals (accessible through the Seneca Library) that provide you with good information on good practices. Then, from your understanding of the issues and your research, explain how, these good practices, if implemented, could have made a difference. (2 pages)
ALL ASSIGNMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN BOTH HARD AND SOFT COPY.
For hard copy submission in class:
5. Cover page stating student name, student number, course and section, date of the article, the source/publication in which the article was published and the web link address.
6. Hard copy of the article, attached by staple.
For soft copy submission via Safeassign:
7. Cover page stating student name, student number, course and section, date of the article, the source/publication in which the article was published and the web link address.
8. Scanned copy of the article.
9. Soft copy submission via Safeassign is done on Blackboard through the link provided under the Assignments tab for Assignment 1.
All reports must be submitted in MS Word format 12 font Arial
Other Important Notes:
• No handwritten assignments will be accepted.
• No assignment will be marked until both a hard and soft copy submission have been received. Kindly avoid late penalties by keeping to the deadlines.
• Marks will be deducted if your assignment is over 3 pages single space (excluding the cover page, citation page and the article).
Cover page includes: assignment title, professor’s name, course and section, student’s first and last name, student number and date. 1
News article attached / Date of news article and publication/online news source cited/ 1
Newspaper article description 4
Discussion of the impact of the event 4
Application and discussion of law/business/HR research to the issues 6
MLA style, correct format and structure followed 1
Correct spelling / proper grammar/clarity 3
TOTAL POSSIBLE MARKS - 20 worth 15% of term mark