HI6025 Accounting Theory and Current Issues
Assessment item 2 — Group Assignment
Due date: Week 11, Friday 11:59 pm
Each group can choose a peer-reviewed journal article that discusses the implications of accounting theories (agency theory, institutional theory, stakeholder theory, legitimacy theory, debt-covenant theories) to organisations; OR a peer-reviewed journal article that discusses the implications of positive accounting theories hypotheses (bonus plan hypothesis, debt- covenant hypothesis, political cost hypothesis ) to organisations.
The following are examples of journal articles that fit the criteria for the assignment. However, your group must select a journal article other than the ones provided here.
1. Research Paper from Agency Theory: Capital structure and firm performance: A new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry.
2. Research Paper from Institutional and legitimacy Theory: Financial Restatements, Audit Fees, and the Moderating Effect of CFO Turnover
3. Research Paper from Positive accounting theories hypotheses: Earnings-based bonus plans and earnings management by business-unit managers.
1. Students are required to form groups of 3 – 6 and inform the lecturer of their group memberships by Week 9, Friday 5:00 pm.
2. Each group will choose one journal article and inform the lecturer of their choice.
3. Two link will be created one for video link and another for document link. One member from each group will submit one link for video (you can develop video and create a YouTube link for the lecturer) and another link for document submission under group assignment folder.
4. Group will prepare a short duration slide and every member will present their part and explain their understanding (duration of the Presentation: 6-7 minutes).
Your group will receive a composite marks based on this following criteria:
1. Video Presentation Making and articulation – 3 marks
2. Understanding, Explanation and clarity -10 marks
3. Body Language, Eye Contact, pronunciation and smart approach - 2 marks
4. Document submission (understanding and match with the unit concept) – 5 marks
1. Introduction of your group’s presentation and the title of the journal article for your group.
2. Practical explanation of chosen topic (you don’t need to explain research design or literature review, you will only explain the part where you find an implication of theories, or hypotheses or social reporting and you can sub-divide this part)
3. Match your chosen concept with the conceptual knowledge you have learn from the subject (e.g. how bonus plan hypothesis can negative impact of earnings manipulation or how political cost negative impact on firm performance or any positive impact) 4. Summary and practical contribution of your chosen topic.