Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Trimester T3 2017
Unit Code BN303
Unit Title Wireless Networks & Security
Assessment Type Type A Individual Submission
Assessment Title Use of a WLAN Tools in an enterprise setting
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) b. Utilise standards-based technologies used in various networks.
c. Test and compare the performance of various wireless networks.
Total Marks 60
Word limit 1500
Due Date Week 8 Sunday 11:55pm i.e. 14th of January 2018
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
Extension • If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly on AMS. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment.
Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policiesprocedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-PolicyProcedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
Prepared by: Dr Frank Jiang Moderated by: Dr Imran Ali Jokhio December, 2017 Description of the Assignment
This assignment requires you to perform the analysis on a real large-scale wireless network. To fulfill the assignment tasks, you will collect data on access points and evaluate security situations. We recommend to use the WLAN sniffing tools (e.g., Netspot, Acrylic, Android app etc.), however you will have the choice to choose one of the best suitable tools. Data collection must include technology used, deployed network types, channels, data rates and interference with other networks, security protocols etc. A technical report is to be prepared according to the specification below. Your report should include the following:
1. Record WLAN access points at a public place (such as at a shopping centre, public place, home network etc. of your choice).
2. Gather technical information about wireless networks at three different locations with minimum 10 APs for each location.
3. Test the WLAN sniffing tool and report your observation and recommend how to secure and/or manage WLAN. Your report should include:
a. Tables for each location containing all technical details about WLAN setup from your findings.
b. Screenshots (as an evidence) and detail explanation to report working mechanism (the step by step process) of the identified technique.
c. Explain the use (evaluation) of the technique to secure and/or manage WLAN.
i. Discuss dual bands and its advantages
ii. Security implications
iii. Others aspect such as special network, multiple SSIDs and vendors etc.
4. Submit a one (1) minute video along with audio to demonstrate your implementation (the tutor must be able to recognize you in the video). Your video file format must be compatible with video playing software available in MIT labs. Failure to submit the video (using Moodle submission link) will result a failing grade.
Marks are allocated as indicated on each question, taking the following aspects into account:
Criteria Description Marks
Evaluation Explain the use of the technique 10
Sophistication and effectiveness
Sophistication and effectiveness to secure and/or manage WLAN 10
Explanation Description/explain how to use the technique 10
Report structure Inadequate structure, careless presentation, poor writing 5
Reference style (IEEE) Proper referencing if required 5
Video along with audio Demonstration Successful video demonstration to support submitted report. 20
Marking Rubric for Exercise Answers
Grade Mark HD 80%+ D 70%-79% CR 60%-69% P
Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
/10 Logic is clear and easy to follow with strong arguments Consistency logical and convincing Mostly consistent and convincing Adequate cohesion and conviction Argument is confused and disjointed
Sophisticati on and
/10 The presented solution demonstrated an extreme degree of sophistication and effectiveness to secure The presented solution demonstrated a high degree of sophistication and effectiveness to secure The presented solution demonstrat ed an average degree of sophisticati on and The presented solution demonstrate d a low degree of sophisticatio n and effectiveness The presented solution demonstrated a poor degree of sophistication and effectiveness to secure
and/or manage WLAN and/or manage WLAN effectivenes s to secure and/or manage WLAN to secure and/or manage WLAN and/or manage WLAN.
/10 All elements are present and well integrated. Components present with good cohesion Component
s present and mostly well integrated Most components present Lacks structure.
Reference style /5 Clear styles with excellent source of references. Clear referencing/ style Generally good referencing
/style Unclear referencing/s tyle Lacks consistency with many errors
Report structure and report presentatio n
/5 Proper writing. Professionally presented Properly written, with some minor deficiencies Mostly good, but some
structure or presentatio n problems Acceptable presentation Poor structure, careless presentation
Successful completion and well understanding
of the outcome. Successful completion and understanding
of the outcome. Partially
understandi ng of the outcome. Partially
completed and did not understandin g of the outcome. Not completed and did not understanding
of the outcome.