Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code BN103
Unit Title Platform Technologies
Assessment Type Individual Assessment
Assessment Title Building Computer using Components And Research Computer Systems
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) The purpose of this assignment is to discuss on some important characteristics of Platform Technologies and their functioning and latest trends in computer system.
Total Marks 100
Word limit 2500
Due Date Thursday 5 PM, Week 7 (28 Dec 2017)
Submission Guidelines Submission guidelines:
• All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Sheet.
• The report will be automatically checked by Turnitin embedded on moodle. By submitting on MOODLE you agree that the work is yours unless properly cited.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
• For assignments 1 to 5 days late, a penalty of 10% (of total available marks) per day.
• For assignments more than 5 days late, a penalty of 100% will apply.
Extension If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to the School's Administration Officer, in Melbourne on Level 6 or in Sydney on Level 7. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment. Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
Description: This assignment consists of two parts:
Part A: An online quiz Assignment 1, which includes 38 questions. Students may have 3 attempts at this quiz. The system will keep the highest grade.
Part B: Investigating the assembling of computers and market Latest trends in Computer System.
SUBMIT THIS SAME DOCUMENT WITH YOUR ANSWERS Assignment 1-Questions
A-QUIZ. (40 marks) Attempt the Assignment 1 quiz after Week 4. Paste the results of your quiz here.
B-Q1. (30 marks) Computer Systems: Objective:
To use your knowledge of modern computing components to select the appropriate components to create a number of computers.
Identify the cost of building a computer using components bought individually from an online store. You should create a Bill of Materials (including URLs to an online shop and access date) including the cost of the individual components and the total cost for your system.
You should ensure that the components are compatible, and include a case.
You should select the components to match each of the following profiles and budgets.
a) A server computer (you should ensure you use ECC memory) (max $2000) to be used in an Accounting firm, serving multiple accountant. [10 Marks]
b) Computer (max $550 budget) that is used by accountants and receptionist [10 Marks]
c) A Programmer/Developer Laptop/Computer (max $1200 budget). [10 Marks]
You should briefly describe why the choices you have made would be appropriate for each of the computers and provide comparison of products (at least 2 products). The programmer/developer computer should have enough memory to install multiple Operating Systems (more than one). Your response should ensure that the features used in system assembling.
The cheapest computer should be relatively small.
B-Q2 what are computer performance parameters, Discuss all the parameters that affects computer performance in terms of processing and storage. [15 Marks] (500 to 600 words)
B-Q3 (15 Marks)
1. Each student need to select one of the topics described below.
2. Research your topic and write a short report that will help describe the hardware concept to “readers.” and should include the following:
A. Hardware name with model and manufacturer;
B. Description the purpose or use of hardware;
C. How it works or functionalities;
D. Other devices/components can be connected to or connected to other components of computer;
E. Specifications and market price comparison with different manufacturer.
3. Word limit: 400-500 words
A. Microprocessors – how chips are made, “the clean room”, evolution of the microchip
B. Graphics Cards
D. Hard Drive
E. USB Data Travelers/ portable Hard drive
F. Display Monitors
Section to be included in the report Description of the section Marks
Assignment 1 quiz Online quiz on Moodle 40
B-Q1 Analysis (if appropriate) Investigation, comparison, discussion (3)
Explanation/justification Description/answer to the question (3)
Presentation Inadequate structure, careless presentation, poor writing(2)
Reference style (IEEE) Proper referencing if required (2)
Copy from another student, copy from internet source/textbook, copy from other sources without proper acknowledgement
B-Q2 PARAGRAPH #1 (Introduction Paragraph)
PARAGRAPH #2-3 (Body Paragraphs)
PARAGRAPH #4 (Concluding Paragraph)
B-Q3 Research your topic and write a short report that will help describe the hardware concept to “readers.”
A. Hardware name;
C. How it works;
D. Other devices/components can be connected to;
E. Specifications 3x5=15
Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
Analysis Logic is clear and easy to follow with strong arguments Consistency logical and convincing Mostly consistent and convincing Adequate cohesion and conviction Argument is confused and disjointed
justification All elements are
present and well
good cohesion Components
mostly well integrated Most components
present Lacks structure.
Reference style Clear styles with excellent source of references. Clear referencing/ style Generally good referencing/style Unclear referencing/style Lacks consistency with many errors
Presentation Proper writing. Professionally presented Properly written,
with some minor deficiencies Mostly good, but some structure or presentation problems Acceptable presentation Poor structure, careless presentation