For your chosen service or health facility prepare a budget for this new service or project. Prepare this in report format as discussed in class and as outlined on the vUWS website.
1. Remember outputs as well as financial data is required.
2. In preparing the budget, students should show the build-up of the budget from a zero base including all significant line items .
3. A contingency plan must be included ( what happens if desired funding is not available to the optimal level desired) with at 10% less than the optimal budget. Show deletions and cost cutting measures.
4. Include a financial activity analysis and a break-even analysis chart to show at what level of activity the service 'breaks even'. In the public sector this means to come in on budget rather than make a profit.
You will be assessed on the following:
• Writing skills.
• Rationale/justification for a new service.
• Application of zero based budgeting principles.
• Understanding of activity/output requirements.
• Veracity of the break-even analysis.
• Quality, feasibility and relevance of performance criteria.
A sample business case format will be provided on vUWS.
Rubric: Assessment 4 Preparing a budget business case 30%
Via Turnitin on vUWS
This purpose of this assessment is to enable students to apply the knowledge they have gained from the subject and completing the questions during the session.
The tutorial activities are designed to develop students' skills in use of Excel. Attendance at tutorials ensures that students can prepare the business case using financial data.
The assignment is designed for students to develop a zero based budget which shows skills in breaking down costs for a service or project in relation to planned activity levels and outcomes or deliverables. Development of a business case is a common activity for health managers to undertake.