Case 5 - Barbie & Retail Failure in China
• Analyse the cases using marketing principles, theories and concepts that you have been acquiring from studying marketing
Suggested Report Structure
• Cover Page
• Table of Contents
• Introduction (suggest 50 words)
• Key Marketing Issue (suggest 200 words)
o identifying the key marketing issue in the case (what is the main thing going on?)
• Secondary Marketing Issues (suggest 300 words)
o secondary marketing issues in the case (what are the other things going on?).
• Case Question Answers (suggest 400 words)
o Beyond this you should answer the questions at the end of the case, making sure that in doing so you draw on marketing principles, theories and concepts.
• Marketing Recommendations (suggest 200 words)
o Then you should think that if you had the power to make marketing recommendations (as a consultant or commentator) what would you say (at a broad or a specific level) to companies and/or brands featured in the case.
• Self-Reflection about Marketing (suggest 250 words)
o Lastly, you will need to self-reflect on why you think the case author wrote the case study i.e. what did he or she intend students to get out of it, in terms of learning about marketing.
Approaching the Case Analysis
• Five brief cases (less than 1.5 pages each) have been selected for you. Each case does have substantive content in it, and it is suggested that you read the case at least twice, before beginning discussions with other team members. In reading your case initially you may wish to note down the contents that stand out to you most, as well as your own impressions and reactions.
• Then it is suggested that you start discussions with your team members quickly followed by sharing thoughts among both groups. (both the local ones and the ones at the partner university). You could even keep a group log of your initial thoughts, impressions and reactions.
• Having done that it is suggested that group members conduct some secondary research on the companies and/or brands featured in your case. See if you can find any additional information that helps inform you further about what is going on in the case. This will help enriched your analysis of the case, and your ability to make marketing recommendations. Generate these recommendations by yourself, then share them with your local team members and the ones at the partner university. That way a wider pool of recommendations can be generated, and you can then discuss which one or two you would like to select for inclusion in the report. Earlier on, apply this approach to identification of the key issue (and the secondary issues). That way you don’t just go with group opinion based on ‘group think’ right from the start, but instead use the individual thinking power of each of the group members in both Australia and the United States. You might be surprised how focused, strategic and creative the output can be!
• In summary
o Step 1 Read the case and conduct secondary research
o Step 2 Discuss findings, issues, case answers and recommendations with local team
o Step 3 initiate robust discussions with your counterpart team by Skype or another technology
Timeline, Word Count, & Document Format
• Due Friday 27th October.
• The group members can submit the assignment to their respective universities.
• The maximum word count for the Report is 1,400 words, not including the Cover Page, Bibliography, and any appendices that students may choose to include.
• The word count tolerance in the main body is +/- 10% of the 1,400 words, and any appended material cannot exceed 10% of the main body.
• The document may be submitted in either Word or PDF format.
Citations & the Bibliography
All sources utilised within your Report should be fully cited, with a referencing system (suggest Harvard) agreed between the ACU/CUA group members. It will not be necessary however to cite the case itself each time the contents are mentioned in your Report. The Bibliography should contain full bibliographical information, for all sources used (whether directly or indirectly), including the case study.