Assessment item 3
Addendum to report on the 7 Eleven case
Due date: 09-Oct-2017
Return date: 30-Oct-2017
Length: 1,400 words -1+ 10%
Submission method options
Alternative submission method
This assessment extends the analysis that you completed in Assessment 2. You are asked to discuss the implications of the7 Eleven inquiry report for non-union forms of employee representation and bargaining structures in the Australian ER system.
Turn your mind to the following questions:
1. To what extent would non-union forms of employee representation and voice alleviate the issues raised in the case? Support your answer with evidence relating to non-union representation.
2. What changes to bargaining structures in the retail industry do you believe are appropriate to avoid the issues that arose in the 7 Eleven case. Support your answer with reference to relevant evidence regarding the effectiveness of bargaining structures in Australia. You may introduce overseas examples if relevant.
As this assessment extends your work in Assessment 2, it is not necessary to repeat that material in detail. It will be sufficient to provide an overview of the 7 Eleven case and then move into your answer to this assessment task.
This assessment will help you to demonstrate your achievement of the following learning outcomes in HRM523:
• synthesise and apply theoretical frameworks and scholarly research to critically analyse issues relating to the practice of industrial relations in Australia;
• employ academic writing and information literacy skills to produce robust, well-supported argument related to industrial relations issues;
• produce informed, relevant and well-communicated business advice and/or research papers relating to industrial relations issues.
Marking guide for Assessment 3
'Criterion High D b CR PS IFl halt
hIXACertion of spocralet knowledge find theory pospectbes) Reemrant ER knowledge from academic. profess:oust end news sources ei applied nob coast Mouglit to anetyse 'nabob) parted nem In address.; are quaraon Reevent ER loiowiedSge horn academe professional end news SOurces.e aminue colic* to snrryse inn positions of On ma)01 stakeholders In addreseng the mansion ER kronredge n used to soP9on the argument Hamner. the -moose we not al vi good Quality. emInx ney are not used effectively to support an indeouident argument ER knowledge is uu•tilOces to descnbe the case and to desert. pointegotteabn of vivo relish.; to the Question. The peppy does not mane far beyond descrphon end assertion of others' slaws Tim extent of value add in critical thought is ?bleed not
20 marks caldron Me
Butenstie recommearlatons 15 marks) The reconvnencleeco ale hay consistent with Me ems/eels of the quash:ins and 'donned by Mayan, sources. Ruoinnenendetian am constant wen Om aineyeis: Ixwevor. More may be gaps in consistency and,ion support.; malarial Reurintherolatlora address me gaps ,dardlfled. however, be recommendations may be overly general or othervose uneven n the exitilt 10 WICh they address the gape dontrfied There may maw be gaps el be usaficatan of be .ecommendshons ReoorrenentiMiOne may be supeefictal or not wet cobecked lo the shahs.. Or be poorly justIdad Dose tell eddiamithis pad c4 the queseon
OUP mold and Do boducfed for poor ratoennong and faun to Infflub v the PIOS.IfetAln mstructrand )
Use the following format for this report.
- Title page, showing the subject and assessment details, your name and student
number, and the word count (this will be checked)
- Table of contents page (not included in the word count)
- Appropriate headings and sub headings, with numbered paragraphs and sub-
- Reference list of sources that have been cited in the report. There is no minimum
number of references. (Fifteen appropriate references is a guide only.)
An executive summary is not required.
The title page, table of contents and reference list page/s are not included in the word count. Everything else is included. Words contained in tables and images are included. Do not use appendices, footnotes or endnotes.
Use 1.5 line spacing and 12 point font.
Marks will be deducted for incorrect referencing and for failure to follow the instructions.