Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code MN610
Unit Title Virtual Private Networks
Assessment Type Group
Assessment Title Assignment 2 - High level design for an SME network and VPN services
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) The purpose of this assignment is to develop requirements and design a network which can be implemented with VPN services for an SME (small and medium sized enterprises). The design of network and service must be specific so that it can be used for a purpose of a quotation and proposal from vendors.
After the assignment, students are expected to learn not only the knowledge and current technical aspects of VPN but also research, data collection, analysis and writing skills, which are very important and help them for study. Students will be able to understand what aspects and contents are required for requirements too.
Total Marks 30
Word limit See the instructions
Due Date 27 September (11:55PM Wednesday in Week 11) T2-2017.
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings. Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
• No ‘zipped’ file or other types must be used but MS WORD file type for submission in Moodle.
Extension • If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to the School's Administration Officer, in Melbourne on Level 6 or in Sydney on Level 7. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment. Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
There are two parts to this assignment, i.e. part A and part B.
A. Investigate, design and develop a suitable VPN network for an SME by addressing the following criteria. See detailed instruction in the next section. 25 marks
B. Presentation 5 marks
Part A description:
There are two areas to consider for VPN network design in this assignment.
1. Design a network for an SME
2. Build VPN services for the users
Contents must include:
• Scopes and Limitations
• Requirements (Network parts and VPN service parts)
• Solution Design
a. Logical Design
b. Physical Design
c. Network Topologies
d. IP addressing
e. Security features and Policies
f. Redundancy and Failover plans
g. VPN service implementation
• Refer the sample document included in below for network design, and consider how to implement VPN services onto the network.
Marks are allocated as indicated on each question, taking the following aspects into account:
Identification and Analysis and description Correctly identifying, appropriateness, discussion
Explanation/justification Description and justification
Presentation and diagrams Structure, presentation, formatting, writing
Reference style Proper referencing is required if applicable
Plagiarism Copy from another student, copy from internet source/textbook, copy from other sources without proper acknowledgement, etc
Task A - Total 25 marks
No Categories Description Marks
1 Template and format The document should include all necessary headings and contents to depict a VPN services and network design as per the example provided. 5
2 Requirements Multiple Figures and Tables need to be included to properly show the requirements development. There must be a section for ‘compliance’ check so that vendors can properly reply to the requirements. 5
3 Solutions This section should include proper headings and contents to propose a solution for a VPN network. Wireless LAN solution needs to be included. 10
4 Previous work and examples Include a section for comparison with pros and cons of the example to propose a solution, which will justify why it has been chosen. 5
Part B description:
Task B - Total 5 marks
The solution of VPN services and network design shall be presented with 15 minutes for a group during week 11 Lab class. Presentation slides should be submitted in Moodle prior to the presentation for marking. No other options (e.g. hard copy, memory stick, website, email etc) will be considered but the presentation file submitted in Moodle.
Marking Rubric for Assignment 1 Questions-Marks as shown
Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
Identification and Analysis and description Highly valid and appropriate Valid and appropriate Generally valid and appropriate Valid but no appropriate Not valid and not appropriate
justification All elements are present and well integrated. Components present with good cohesion Components present and mostly well integrated Most components present Lacks structure.
Reference style Clear styles with excellent source of references. Clear referencing/ style Generally good referencing/style Unclear referencing/style Lacks consistency with many errors
Presentation and diagrams Proper writing and drawing. Professionally presented Properly written and drawing, with some minor deficiencies Mostly good, but some structure or presentation problems Acceptable presentation Poor structure, careless presentation