· Weighting: 50%
Word count: There is a word limit of 1500 words. Use your computer to total the number of words used in your assignment. However, do not include the reference list at the end of your assignment in the word count. In-text citations will be included in the additional 10% word count. If you exceed the word limit by more than 10% the marker will stop marking at 1500 words plus 10%.
Due Date: Week 13 Monday 9th October 2017 at 1700 hours
Aim of assessment
The aim of this assessment is to develop your understanding when evaluating the unsatisfactory professional conduct of a nurse/midwife in a case study provided. The case study is a “Decision Statement” selected from Decisions of the Professional Standards Committee from the Nursing and Midwifery Council New South Wales. Students self-select a case study from the 401021 vUWS site that will be available in the assessment tab on vUWS from week 1.
The Nursing and Midwifery Council of NSW is a statutory body that was established in July 2010 under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (NSW). The Council is responsible for managing notifications (complaints) about the conduct, professional performance and health of any nurse or midwife and any nursing and midwifery student where the notified behaviour has occurred in New South Wales.
To facilitate your learning and critical analysis of the case study, discuss the following in your essay;
1. What activities did the nurse or midwife need to complete in the immediate situation? Outline the actions and/or inactions by the nurse or midwife that relate to their individual professional accountability and the accountability to coordinate care with others.
2. What professional standards were breached in this situation? Read through the NMBA codes and standards to identify (at least three) relevant statements that apply in to this case study and provide a clear and concise rationale for your selection. Your answer must be specific to the case study context and refer to relevant NMBA professional standards.
3. What professional behaviours may have made a difference in this situation? Your discussion needs to be focused and relevant to the case study. In writing your answer, consider the level of engagement, personal attributes, prior clinical experience, evidence of clinical reasoning, clinical actions and whether the nurse or midwife involved evaluated or reflected on the care they provided.
4. What do you learn from this case study about your own preparedness for professional practice? Choose one aspect of care from the case study that is within the scope of practice for a new graduate nurse or midwife and reflect on what accountable actions may apply. This paragraph can be written in the first person, where appropriate, as you are reflecting on your own preparedness for professional practice.
The assessment must;
· Respond to the each of the guiding questions outlined above in the essay content
· Your essay must include relevant in-text references that fit the context of your discussion at the appropriate place in the paragraph of your text.
· The marking criteria and standards have been developed to guide you through the assessment process. Please read the criteria and standards carefully.
· The essay must include in-text references and a reference list at the end of the paper in the APA style 6th edition (available on vUWS) for all resources used in the critical reflection (a minimum of five references is expected).