Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code MN601
Unit Title Network Project Management
Period Trimester-2, 2017
Type Group Assignment
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO
Mapping) The purpose of this assignment is to develop a well-researched project planning document based on the overall parameters of a networking related project, establish an appropriate project management plan, and quality environment required to complete the chosen project. Furthermore, analyse project issues, conduct post-project review (i.e., lessons learned) and make recommendations for improvements for future projects. It addresses the following learning outcomes:
• understand project management as a strategic tool, framework, or methodology for business development;
• analyse and apply a range of technologies and techniques that are appropriate to the needs and requirements of the project — particularly in the areas of scope and planning projects;
• demonstrate project leadership skills; identify and assess risk in designing, executing a major project;
• critically reflect on current project management ethics, research, theory and practice;
• identify, analyse, compare, interpret and present the use of a project management tool (e.g., MS Project);
• manage projects effectively through planning, leadership, monitoring and control; • analyse various ICT services management systems.
Total Marks 50
Word count 1800 - 2000
Submission Guidelines All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings. Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using APA referencing style.
Extension If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to the School's Administration Officer, in Melbourne on Level 6 or in Sydney on Level 7. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment. Further information is available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-andguidelines/specialconsiderationdeferment
Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institutepublications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-MisconductPolicy-Procedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
Purpose of the Assessment:
The purpose of this assignment is to develop a well-researched project planning document based on the overall parameters of a networking related project, establish an appropriate project management plan, and quality environment required to complete the chosen project. Furthermore, analyse project issues, conduct post-project review (i.e., lessons learned) and make recommendations for improvements for future projects.
In this assessment task, you will present a proposal for the major project assignment as a team of 3-4 members. Proposal template is available on Moodle. The project must be selected from the networking or the telecommunication area.
The project duration should not be less than 12 Months. Before starting, seek approval for the proposed project from your laboratory tutor. Address all stages of Project Management as outlined in the unit. A suitable project management software (e.g. MS Project 2010) must be used.
The project report should include all phases of a project life cycle, i.e. Initiating, Planning, Executing and Closing. Project Management Plan helps the management team to maintain a constant focus towards delivering the project in accordance with the customer needs and expectations.
The development of such a plan begins with the business case (refined from the Project Charter), project objectives and goals, success criteria, scope, high-level schedule, stakeholder expectations, communication plan, benefits and costs, governance and resourcing, management approach, risk management plan, and potential ethical issues.
The project documents ensure a consistent understanding of the project, help to set expectations, and identify resources necessary to move the project to the next level of detailed planning. Every project must be delivered in a manner that captures the user’s trust and confidence in the chosen projects ability to effectively and efficiently deliver quality services/products. In order to ensure project success, it is imperative that good project management principles are used early in the planning stages. As the project becomes more defined, the Project Management Plan becomes the tool by which the project is managed effectively.
Students should include all aspects of the project as if they were the Project Manager and it is a requirement of the subject that they include the use of software (e.g. Microsoft Project). Students are expected to show evidence of self-directed reading and research using credible resources including, but not limited to their prescribed text. The assignment will be marked on the basis of depth of analysis, research, references and integration of all aspects of project management.
Assessment will be on the basis of the realistic nature of the project and how well it is presented. You should present the final document in a form that would be consistent with the details of your chosen project, and written in Business English in a report format. Make sure that the timeline, the budget and the quality of the work is realistic, justifiable and sufficiently attractive to win a tender for a real project.
Form a team of 3-4 members and work co-operatively to complete the chosen project. The project report must cover at least the following aspects:
• A clear outline of the project including title, start and end date, goals and objectives, etc.
• Project requirements (both functional and non-functional)
• Project team members (title, skills/expertise, not names!)
• Project plan, including: o Project scope
o Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) o Estimated time-line o Resource needs
o Gantt Chart and Network Diagram o Estimated cost o Quality plan o Stakeholder analysis o Communications plan o Risks management plan o Ethical issues analysis o Project deployment plan
• Crash the total project duration by 2 weeks.
• Use software (e.g. Microsoft Project) to complete WBS, allocate time and resources, apply cost, and prepare Gantt chart and Network Diagram.
• Project Signoff (on a separate page)
• Post project review and recommendations Submission guidelines:
The report should have a consistent, professional, and well-organized appearance. Create the report (Minimum 1800 Words) showing extensive use of MS Project.
1. The report should include the following:
• A cover page listing students name and ID, tutor name, and Assignment-2 as title.
• The assignment must use 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font with appropriate section headings.
• The report must include all sections listed in the Marking Criteria, with appropriate heading and sub-headings to create a well-presented and readable repot.
• Reference sources (APA style) must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list.
2. The assignment must be submitted as a soft (electronic) copy under Moodle. The page number must appear on each page.
Sections to be included in the report Contents of the section Marks
Section-1: Executive summary, introduction, logical structure and conclusion Executive summary, table of contents, introduction, logical flow of information and conclusion for the major project. The project should use a meaningful project title and a reasonable time period of 12
months or more. 5
Section-2: Project scope and project requirements. Project crashing. Well focused project Scope, WBS, estimation of Time, Cost, Quality key stakeholder s’ roles and responsibilities including project team. List of functional and nonfunctional requirements. Method for crashing the project time by 2 weeks. 15
Section-3: Project stakeholders, communications, risk management
plan, and ethical issues. Stakeholder analysis,
communication matrix, risk matrix, and ethical issues. 10
Section-4: Project Management software outputs The demonstration of scheduling, resourcing, and costing of different activities and tasks using a Project Management software. Required charts/graphs (Gantt chart, Network diagram, etc.) as extracted from the software. 10
Section-5: Project Deployment plan Description of project deployment plan 4
Section-6: Project signoff, project review and recommendations Project signoff letter, post-project review and recommendations 3
Section-7: Reference and appendices APA 3
HD 80-100% D 70-79% CR
60-69% P 50-59% Fail
Quality: Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
All topics are pertinent and covered in depth. Ability to think critically and source material is demonstrated Topics are relevant and soundly analysed. Generally relevant and analysed. Some relevance and briefly presented. This is not relevant to the assignment topic.