Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code MN405
Unit Title Data and Information Management
Assessment Type Assignment 2 (T2 2017)
Assessment Title Managing Data in Databases
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) The purpose of this assignment is to develop skills in managing data in databases and to gain understanding of data model development and implementation using a commercially available database management system development tool.
On completion of this assignment students will be able to:
a. Model organisational information requirements using conceptual data modelling techniques.
b. Convert the conceptual data models into relational data model
c. Document the database design
d. Design the database and implement it using DBMS
Weight 60 Marks
Total Marks 20% of total assessment for the unit
Word limit No specific word limit
Due Date La Week 11
Description of this assignment: This assignment consists of three Questions:
Question 1: Describe the project and documents the requirements
Question 2: Implement the design using MS- Access software
Question 3: Implementing the SQL Commands
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date.
• The assignment report must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2.5 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
• The implementation of the database should be submitted separately as Ms-Access file.
Extension • If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to the School's Administration Officer, in Melbourne on Level 6 or in Sydney on Level 7. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment. Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at:http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure.For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
Established in 1854 as the Melbourne Public Library, State Library Victoria is Australia's oldest public library and one of the first free public libraries in the world.
State library founders believed that access to knowledge was critical for the development of a civil and prosperous community, and created the Library as 'the people’s university' – a place of learning and discovery for all Victorians. They also charged the Library with preserving Victoria's heritage by collecting items of historical and cultural significance for future generations.
These are responsibilities that remain a critical focus today. Each year we add more than 70,000 heritage items to the Library’s rich collection and lead the sector with our ambitious digitisation programs. The library also work hard to adapt and remain relevant to the Library users, as well as reach out to new audiences. As a result, Library patronage has continued to increase, with almost two million physical visits to the Library annually and over 4.3 million annual online visits.
In this project you are required to design a database for managing a library database. To fulfil the design requirement you should submit the following:
1- Describe the project and document the following requirements:
- Fully document the library database design requirement
- Draw the E-R Diagram
- Clearly set the business rules and the different type of user views
- Identify the different type of relationships used
- Clearly explain the normalisation process of the database
- Identify the functional dependencies in the library database
- Document the needed Quires, Reports and Forms used by the library
2- Implement the design using MS- Access software
- Design the reports needed for the library
- Design the needed Queries
- Design all required forms to implement your database
3- Implement the SQL commands to generate the Quires you have designed in step 2, you should write at least five SQL commands Quires
Marks are allocated for each part as above:
Marking Rubric for Assignment 1 –Part B: Total Marks 60
Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
skills Evidence of accurate and well-
written queries Evidence of good query writingskills. Generally relevant. Displayed reasonable query writing skills. Demonstrated little evidence of understanding the topic.
Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically. Demonstrated anability to think critically. Demonstrated reasonable ability to think. Demonstrated some ability to think critically but not complete. Did not demonstrate ability to think critically.
Logic is clear and easy to follow. Consistency logical and convincing. Mostly consistent logical and convincing. Adequate cohesion and conviction. Arguments are confused and disjointed.
All elements are present and very well integrated. Most of the components present and integrated. Components present and mostly well integrated. Most components present. Report lacks structure.
Excellent outstanding effort made. Extremely good effort. Good effort made but not outstanding. Made some effort. Very little attempt.
Lazy effort with inaccuracies.