LLOYD'S MARITIME ACADEMY
Tutor Marked Assignment for the
Diploma in Marine Surveying FLP2722
Modules Eight, Nine and Ten.
1. Explain why a positive displacement pump should not be run against a closed system and why a centrifugal pump can be. Discuss the reasons for your answer. (10%).
2. Explain the term pump head (2%)
3. Explain the term pump capacity (2%)
4. Explain the purpose of pump curves. (6%)
5. Discuss four safety risks associated with 30 Bar Engine Air Starting systems and describe in detail, three safety devices which may be incorporated into such systems, including details of the inspections of these systems which you would perform as a surveyor. (20%)
6. Detail the tests which you would expect to witness during the first annual survey of a 7 Bar Auxiliary Steam Boiler. (15%).
7. You have been instructed by the owner of a handy size bulk carrier to carry out a condition survey following the crew reporting heavy weather damage. This reported damage has resulted in the partial flooding of No, 1 hold. List the following:
the structural items you would check and the form of damage you would look for on the No 1 hatch coamings and No 1 hatch covers (15%)
the structural items you would check and the form of damage you would look for in the No 1 cargo hold side shell structure, transverse bulkheads structure and top side tanks structure. (15%)
8. The International Ship and Ports Faculty Security Code (ISPS Code) defines three security levels. In your own words describe a typical scenario required for each level to be set by an internationally trading ship. (15%)
A note from the Course Director. Please remain mindful of the matter of plagiarism and how to avoid this. Reference is made to the Academic Course Handbook Part 4.
WORD COUNT TARGET 2000 WORDS (+/- 10 0/0)
Please ensure that you use the NKC Diploma Assignment Template found on your course home page and submit via Turnitin
There is no penalty for the late submission of an assignment, provided all assessments are completed by the end of the course. You are recommended to complete each assignment by the suggested deadline date, so the marker can plan their time and return your work as quickly as possible. However, you can submit assignments at any time during the course, but a longer time period may elapse before your marked work is returned.
The suggested deadline for this assignment is:
10th November 2017
For a full list of suggested course deadlines, assessment information and grading details please see your Course Handbook and the Academic Course Handbook. These are both available on the course website.