Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Trimester T2 2017
Unit Code MN621
Unit Title Advanced Network Design
Assessment Type Individual written report and group demonstration – Assignment 2
Assessment Title Wide Area Network Design and Setup using VLANs for VOIP
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) Main objectives of this assignment is to enable student to understand networking devices, gather requirements for a given business case study, plan a network design and setup VLAN appropriately using physical networking devices. After successful completion of this assignment, students should be able to:
a. Analyse the need for advanced networks, standards and network solutions
b. Investigate suitable network designs to match requirements.
c. Create appropriate frameworks and standards for network implementation
d. Produce detailed business reports for planning, designing, implementing and comparing networks appropriate to business requirements.
Weight 15% of the total assessments
Total Marks 50
Word limit 1500 - 2000
Due Date Week 11, demonstrate during laboratory class (in groups not more than two students) and submit report on Moodle(individual report) by the end of week 11.
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
Extension • If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to the School's Administration Officer, on academic reception level. You must submit this application within three working days of the assessment due date. Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
Design an advanced network for a case study given below.
A medium sized petrochemical company based in USA and it also has its operations in Australia and Middle East. Mr. Dough is Director IT and he is looks after the company’s network infrastructure. The company’s network infrastructure consists of application servers, routers and switches. Networking team can install and configure routers and switches.
Currently, company uses a separate network for its voice services. The director IT wants to migrate the voice services to Voice over IP to reduce voice circuit, operational and management cost. This because of the fact that presently all services only uses 50% of the WAN circuits or even lesser than that. However, WAN circuits are used upto 80% occasionally when their FTP service utilisation is increased sporadically.
The Director IT gives you following diagram as shown in Figure 1, that shows 40 sites. About 50 employees are working at each site and around 250 employees are at headquarters. The topology of the existing network is hybrid-star as shown in figure 1 having various WAN links ranging from 20Mbps broadband optical fiber to ISDN and T1 speed lines.
All remote sites uses an application server setup at headquarter to use FTP and a distributed GUI application. The FTP and distributed GUI application is used to transfer various types of file and graphics between remote sites and headquarters.
The Director IT wants Voice over IP solution and manage the related servers at headquarters. He also want to have redundancy at remote site to switchover if case of a failure. He also wants to test the Voice over IP service before it is implemented to all sites. The testing of the voice over IP service is to analyse if sporadic FTP service degrades it.
40 remote site
Figure 1: Current Network of the Company
Write a report on a network plan by answering following:
1. What are the business requirements of the company?
2. What are the network’s technical requirements?
3. How many IP phones should the network support, consider future extension in your design analysis?
4. What Quality of service features would you propose for WAN?
5. Would you propose an alternative redundant service in case of WAN failure? If yes what would be the service?
6. What would be your plan for testing the network?
7. How you will ensure that, voice service is not impacted by another data transfer service?
8. Draw a proposed network design.
9. Identify all networking device and map their functionalities and explain your design achieves the requirements of the network design.
10. Demonstrate a VOIP configuration using routers available in the labs.
Demonstration: Students can demonstrate in a group of 2. Students should be ready with all setup and configurations before start of the laboratory class. Tutor will ask 2-3 questions to each student to demonstrate any configuration of the setup. Demonstration from each student should not be more than 3 minutes.
Students should form their groups and inform tutor in week 11 during lab class. Students will get demonstration timetable before start of the week 12 lab class.
Section to be included in the report Description of the section Marks
Business requirements Describing business requirements of the company 3
Business requirements transformation to technical requirements Business to technical requirement transformation and mapping.
Network Design to support IP telephones
Design of IP network and future expansion provision 5
WAN Design and Quality of Service Quality of service in WAN network 4
Redundancy service of the network Proposal of a redundant service in case of failure
Testing plan Testing plan for the newly proposed design 5
Proposed network Diagram of the proposed network 3
Networking devices Networking devices name, model etc in the proposed network design. 5
VoIP configurations Configuration commands step by step process 8
Reference style Follow IEEE reference style 1