Your assessment is to:
Write a 700 word opinion editorial that critically analyses the challenges with realising
aspirations of the common good in your professional community, locally and globally.
You will need to select an issue that relates to the degree program you are studying.
You should read the article on LEO that explains how to write an Op-Ed piece, and the two
examples provided before commencing this assessed task.
• Create an evocative and engaging Op-Ed that explains a challenge associated with
realising aspirations of the common good in your professional community, locally and
• The Op-Ed should clearly explain to readers what the issue or problem is and how your
understanding of the knowledge you have acquired in the unit addresses the issue or
problem and relate to the discipline area you are studying in.
• Please note that you do not have to come up with the ‘definitive solution’ for the Op Ed,
this may form part of Assessment 3. Your tutor is looking for a well-argued view in order
to move forward on the issue or problem.
• The Op-Ed is to be no more than 700 words long (papers which fall beyond this word
length will be penalised). The idea is to express your thoughts clearly and concisely and
make your argument as directly as you can – just like a journalist or writer. Do not assume
that this assignment is easy given the word length. The challenge is to present a
persuasive argument in a concise manner!
• Although Op-Ed’s do not usually require referencing, for this academic work, referencing
is required. References do not count in the word limit. See referencing guidelines on the
UNCC300 LEO page (You can find it under Assessment How do I reference course
materials for UNCC units?).
Please word limit is less but its worth of 30 marks.
Read it carefully and also don’t forget to see the examples which I have provided.