Your work on this Enquiry will be assessed in a number of ways including:
1. An individual 1,500 wordcritical appraisaldue no later than 11:59pm Sunday3rdSeptember 2017 (end of week 10). This is worth 30% towards your final mark. This item of assessment will be submitted via the Turnitin link in the “Assessments” area on LMS for grading. It will be graded by your facilitator via Grademark and returned to you via the Turnitin link. No hardcopies of this work will be accepted or returned to you.
2. The readings, on-line presentations, workshops, and participation in the team components of the enquiry will assist your learning in preparation for the week 9 quiz. Your best two scores combined from the three LMS quizzes is worth 40% of your final subject mark.
1. Individual 1,500-word essay
This will be assessed by your Workshop Facilitator (or appropriate nominee appointed by the Subject Coordinator).
Topic Critical appraisal of the ONE article related to your Enquiry 1 database search template as listed on page 6 of this guide
Length 1,500 words
Value 30% of the total marks for HLT1RAE
Due date 11:59pm Sunday3rdSeptember 2017 (end of week 10)
Refer to the LMS forum for information on extensions and late submission (and associated penalties).
Return date Within 2-3 weeks of submission via Turnitin
Submission To Turnitin via the LMS site for HLT1RAE. The document you submit to Turnitin should be a complete submission. NO HARD COPIES of this piece will be accepted
and no hardcopies will be returned – this mechanism will be fully electronic.
Please note: NO COVER SHEET IS TO BE SUBMITTED TO TURNITIN. DO NOT SUBMIT THE RUBRIC TO TURNITIN WITH YOUR SUBMISSION (this increases the similarity index unnecessarily).
For further clarification of the grading criteria and final mark allocation, refer to the grading and feedback criteria on LMS under “Assessments”.
Individual activity – for assessment
Students must submit their search strategy template from Enquiry 1 with this assignment. Failure to do so will result in this assignment not being marked. It is anticipated that the search strategy template will be completed in less than 500 words however this is only a guide and is not an official word count. You have 1500 words (+/- 10%) to complete the critical appraisal as described below.
This1500 wordessay will allow you to demonstrate your understanding of appraising evidence (i.e., step 3 of the 5-step approach to evidence-based practice). You will demonstrate your ability to identify issues with research design, validity and bias in peer-reviewed publications.
In Enquiry 1 you completed a search for evidence related to a chosen clinical scenario. In this assessment task you will be appraising a research article related to your scenario (hopefully you found this article as part of your search!). These articles are listed below. You must appraise the article below that is related to your chosen scenario from Enquiry 1 as you will be submitting a hard copy of your search strategy with this critical appraisal essay.
You will need to source the article from the library database or other online sources.It is not provided for you on LMS.It is your responsibility to please check that you have the correct article. Some authors publish similar articles on the same research topic so make sure the article you find has the same TITLE and is from the same JOURNAL as is listed below.
The choosen topic from enquiry 1:
Scenario 3: Your father is experiencing knee pain, due to osteoarthritis. He has tried many treatments to assist him with his pain reduction, none of which he feels have been effective. His local pharmacist has suggested that he start on a course of glucosamine to assist his joint health. As he does not wish to waste further time or money on yet another treatment, you decide it would be best to look for evidence on the topic first.
Arti, H. R., & Azemi, M. E. (2012). Comparing the effect of glucosamine and glucosamine with alendronate in symptomatic relieve of degenerative knee joint disease: A double-blind randomized clinical trial study. Jundishapur Journal of Natural Pharmaceutical Products, 7(3), 87-92.
(**Please note that due to the complexity of the tinnitus articles published over the past 5 years (as per the search instructions for the template activity) the search was expanded to include this relevant article which is more suitable for the purposes of the assessment).
This 1500 wordessay will require you to assess the quality of your allocated article. In doing this you will be asked to:
• Briefly summarise the nature, aims and hypothesis/es of the study.
• Summarise the methods used in the study, including participants, materials and basic procedure.
• Detail the main findings of the study and whether the hypothesis was supported.
• Identify potential threats to internal and external validity in the research design.
• In conclusion, propose some suggestions as to how threats to validity could have been resolved so that the research outcomes could have been better applied to the health-related field being discussed in the article.
Throughout this subject (and your Core First year subjects more generally), you must use the APA 6th referencing system. The library reference tool may assist you, and can be located here: http://www.lib.latrobe.edu.au/referencing-tool/
In your final essay you should use additional references to assist you in addressing the essay question where appropriate, even though your chosen article will be your main focus (and must be cited in your reference list). For example, you may need a definition of validity and will need to cite your source for that. Be sure not to use the Enquiry guide as a reference, or rely too heavily on the eResource.
This assessment should be a piece of individual and original work. Naturally, you will discuss this task with other students and your Workshop Facilitator whilst you are in the process of developing an understanding of how you will undertake the activity, but each student is expected to submit an individual essay. Refer to the University webpage on academic integrity: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/students/learning/academic-integrity