Assessment Task 2: Written Assignment - Searching for evidence
Description: Students are required to: identify, demonstrate and explain the rationale for conducting a structured search for evidence based on a health scenario. Student are also required to discuss how relevant the search is to the clinical question.
From the scenario/answerable question provided (LEO HLSC122, Assessment submission & resources) choose any one (1) as a basis for your inquiry.
Writing in an essay format (introduction, body, conclusion, reference list). The table/s are included in the word count, do not use an appendix. Minimum four (4) references (two to support your search strategy, two examples from your final search). Small/short headings may be used. Do not repeat the questions or scenario.
1. Based on the answerable question, identify key words, search terms and alternative words that you will then use to complete a structured search for evidence.
2. Identify the best two (2) databases that you would use to search for evidence related to the clinical question.
3. Explain why these two (2) databases are the best databases for conducting your structured search.
4. Use one (1) database described above to demonstrate your comprehensive and structured search for evidence using the table from Richardson-Tench et al. (2016, p. 47). Use the following headings in the table: ‘actions’, ‘search mode’, ‘results’, and ‘limiters’.
5. The table should demonstrate the use of a variety of search strategies (example Boolean operators, truncation, wildcard, limiters).
6. Your final search should demonstrate a significantly smaller number of results than your initial search.
7. Discuss how relevant your final search results were related to the PICO/PICo question/elements.
8. Include the best two (2) examples from your final search results as a full reference in the reference list.
Due date: Friday 01/09/2017, 1200 hours (midday)
Length and/or format: 800 words
Purpose: This assignment requires your understanding of step one and two of the evidence-based practice (EBP) process. By undertaking this assessment task you will demonstrate your ability to use an answerable question to search for the best available evidence related to a clinical scenario.
Learning outcomes assessed: 2, 4, 5, 6
How to submit: Submission is via the Turnitin drop box available in LEO HLSC122 2017 Semester 2 (Assessment submission & resources tile).
Return of assignment: Feedback (written, rubric and/or voice comments) will be available in the Turnitin drop box in LEO not more than three weeks after the final submission date.
Assessment criteria: The marking guide (rubric) for this assessment task is in the unit outline and Turnitin.