Assessment 2: Individual assignment
Weight: 30% of total marks
Due: 11pm, Friday Week 11
Length: 2500 words, +/- 10%
This length limit includes any text, figures, tables, in-text references, and appendices. This limit does not include the cover page, table of contents, or list of references (at the end of assignment).
Formatting: Report and please ensure that the report includes page numbers on each page.
Submission: On due date submit to Blackboard on Final submission link
Workplaces of the future will present many challenges and opportunities for both HRM and employees1. Choose one (1) of the predicted future workplace changes, research the topic to answer the following questions: a) What are the implications for employees (i.e. different way of working, new skills etc.)?
b) What are the HRM implications – how might HR have to operate differently?
c) What are the implications for leaders and managers?
Your report should be structured as follows:
1. This states the purpose and structure of the paper, and identifies the main theme or proposition(s) that you are trying to prove. It tells the reader what to expect.
1. In the body of the paper you are trying to build a logical argument that supports the main theme or proposition.
The body needs to be consistent with what you have said you are going to do in the introduction.
2. Each paragraph should have a topic sentence, and the points you are making should reflect that topic sentence.
3. Use theory and examples to explain your argument.
Remember that you are trying to present a logical, cohesive and clear analysis of the key issues that you have identified, and to use these to support your proposition or theme in a systematic way.
5. You only have 2000 words therefore you will need to be succinct and persuasive in presenting your argument.
Conclusion and recommendations
1. A conclusion is not just a list of the key points you have made. You need to draw together your key points to demonstrate that you have supported your theme or proven your proposition(s).
2. The conclusion needs to be consistent with both the introduction and the body of the report.
Marking Criteria Individual Essay
HC2101: Performance Management
Length: 2500 words. Value: 30%
Critical approach to the topic (10 marks)
1. The body of the report is consistent with the executive summary and introduction and critically analyses the topic.
2. Analysis shows knowledge of relevant theory and practice in HR strategy in Australia.
3. There is a balance between descriptive and analytical content, with a strong emphasis of critical analysis.
4. The topic is discussed using relevant and appropriate theoretical frames, and these are supported by the use of at least eight primary sources (e.g. refereed journal articles)
Line of argument (15 marks)
1. The introduction outlines the main proposition of the report and body develops a clear line of argument. The argument is incisive and includes a concise, relevant treatment of the issues.
2. The conclusion and recommendations draws together the main points of the report and demonstrates a plausible, insightful, and rationally persuasive point at which to end the argument.
Use of academic literature/overall presentation (5 marks)
1. Judicious and appropriate use of at least five (5) academic journal articles or research book chapters.
2. Makes limited use of textbook (or other text books), relying on primary sources to support their argument.
3. Sources are referenced consistently and comprehensively using the APA6 referencing system.
4. Use of language appropriate to an academic report; Presentation is professional (e.g. spell and grammar checked, judicious use of headings, etc).