HA3051 Accounting Theory
Term 1 2017
Assignment 2 - Group Assignment
Assessment Value: 20%
1. This assignment is to be submitted in accordance with assessment policy stated in the Subject Outline and Student Handbook.
2. This assignment is to be conducted between two to four people.
3. It is the responsibility of the student who is submitting the work, to ensure that the work is in fact her/his own work. Incorporating another’s work or ideas into one’s own work without appropriate acknowledgement is an academic offence. Students can submit all assignments for plagiarism checking (self-check) on Blackboard before final submission in the subject. For further details, please refer to the Subject Outline and Student Handbook.
4. Word limit: Whilst there is not a maximum limit, the minimum is 500 words per person (please ensure each member’s contribution is clearly shown)
5. Maximum marks available: 20 marks.
6. Due date of submission: Friday Week 10
You are to respond to the assigned research publication. You should research assigned article and clarify, what you feel is the meaning behind that article, giving consideration to the various theories under the umbrella of the Public
Interest Theory and what of the role of regulators (politicians)? What are the motivations of politicians as regulators?
You should then respond to the article by arguing a position. Do you agree or disagree, explaining why? You should give consideration to events in recent years that may have had an influence.
Websites that may assist:
? AASB (website of Australian Accounting Standards Board)
? ASB (website of International Accounting Standards Board)
? FASB (website of US-based Financial Accounting Standards Board
? CAA (Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia)
? CPAA (Certified Practicing Accountants Australia)
• It is also recommended that you utilise Proquest and Google Scholar as well as Financial review, the Age and BRW (Business Review Weekly)
• Marks will be given on the soundness of your argument, research conducted, quality of report (presentation, referencing) and the understanding of the issues. Each report will be assessed as a group so ensure that, as a group you are satisfied with the contribution of each member.
should consist of summary (overview), introduction, points of discussion and conclusion. Ensure that all references are clearly identified in accordance with Harvard or APA (refer to your student handbook if unsure)