RBM2101 Pathophysiology and Quality Use of Medicines 1
Open Book Test
Drug Therapy in Nursing Practice
Case study questions related to medication, 1000 words.
Assessment weighting 30%.
Submission: The assignment must be submitted via VU Collaborate in the RBM2101 Pathophysiology and Quality Use of Medicines 1 dropbox.
Posting date of open book test to students: 5pm, 26 April 2017
Closing date for submission of open book test: 11.59pm, 5 May 2017
Mrs Angela Brown is a 68 year old widow, and is back in hospital for the second time in a month. She lives alone and does not have relatives living nearby. Angela has a history of intermittent asthma, atrial fibrillation and osteoarthritis. During her current admission to hospital for a pelvic abscess she has been prescribed Metronidazole 500mg IV tds. She complains of discomfort in her buttocks and pain in the perineal area and an offensive odour from there as well. Paracetamol 1000mg qid is prescribed for pain.
In addition to Metronidazole and Paracetamol the prescribed medication history lists the current medications of
• Salbutamol 2 puffs prn
• Amiodarone 200mg daily
• Aspirin 300mg daily
Angela also buys Ibuprofen 200mg as an over the counter drug for when her joints ache.
Part of the nurse’s role in the discharge planning process is to ensure that Angela manages her medication safely and effectively. To commence this process you need to answer the following questions in relation to medication management:
1. What are the indications and actions of the prescribed medications?
2. What are the most common interactions of the prescribed medications? Include: drug to drug, drug to food and drug to herbal interactions? (If there are no known interactions in some areas please state this).
3. Discuss the medication management education that is required to enable Angela to manage her medications at home.
- The body of the text should use subheadings in the form of keys words.
- Tables are acceptable, where it is appropriate to do so.
- Remember there is a 1000 word limit (+/- 10%).
- Please use 1.5 or double spacing and an 11 point font.
- Requires APA in-text and end of text referencing style.
- Pharmacology and medical surgical nursing text books and MIMSonline will assist you in accessing information.