ASSESSMENT TASK 3: TEAM RESEARCH REPORT
Students are to investigate hazardous/building materials and chemicals which may be present in buildings. These include:
• Asbestos • Arsenic treating of termites
• Organochlorins • PFCs — perflurocarbons
• Lead paint • Plate glass in high rise constructions
• Benzine • Metric modular bricks
• DDT (dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane) • Unexploded ordinance
• Mercury • Toxic, explosive or asphyxiant gases (e.g. methane)
• Chromated Copper Arsenate preservative
In the report, students will be asked:
1. to describe where these hazardous/building materials and chemicals might be found or used
2. why they were/are used
3. why they are not used now, and 4. what has replaced them.
The report should then recommend and argue for feasible, innovative and sustainable solutions.
The report is to be submitted as a well-integrated team report and will be 1000 words per student. The individual mark for this assignment is worth 30%, and the team mark is worth 20%, making a total of 50% of the overall marks for the unit. The report is to be submitted in week 10. Learning outcomes 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 will be addressed.
This assignment must be placed in the Assignment Box, situated in the entrance foyer of Building U2, Nirimba campus, by the close of business on the Friday of Week 10 unless alternative arrangements are advised prior to the due date.
MARKING CRITERIA FOR ASSESSMENT TASK 3