HI6025 Accounting Theory and Current
TRIMESTER 1, 2017
Assessment Value: 20% Instructions:
1. This assignment is to be submitted in accordance with assessment policy stated in the Subject Outline and Student Handbook.
2. It is the responsibility of the student who is submitting the work, to ensure that the work is in fact her/his own work. Incorporating another’s work or ideas into one’s own work without appropriate acknowledgement is an academic offence. Students can submit all assignments for plagiarism checking (self-check) on Blackboard before final submission in the subject. For further details, please refer to the Subject Outline and Student Handbook.
3. Maximum marks available: 20 marks.
4. Due date of submission: Friday Week 6
5. Assignment should be of 2,000 words. Please use “word count” and include in report.
Important Note: Please submit Assignment through SafeAssign
Guidelines for Literature Critiques
Students are required to read and understand assigned article. Students must submit a critique of assigned academic article. Please follow the format to complete your assignment. Details about the format, structure and assessment criteria for the critique are presented below. Remember that the critique is due in end of week 6.
FORMAT: 2000 words (maximum)
The critique submission should be typed. Work should be double-spaced with a 2.4cm margin on all sides.
While there is room for being innovative, most critiques should include the following:
• Cover Page
• Introduction: Introducing the topic, stating the aims of the critique, outlining the main argument to be presented and an overview of the paper and the structure of the paper to follow.
• Summary of the Article: Focusing on its main argument, including its aims, its overall findings and its theoretical arguments and contribution.
• Research Question: Identifying the article’s research question(s) or hypotheses and discussing its value, explaining whether and how it flowed from the literature review.
• Theoretical Framework: Identifying and discussing the theoretical framework or theoretical substance of the paper leading to the research element.
• The Significance and Limitations of the Article: Use the literature to discuss the limitations of the theory and methodology used. Does the author acknowledge these limitations? Does the author draw theoretical conclusions from the research that are justified by the methodology? How do these limitations affect the significance of the article and the contribution it makes to the discipline, particularly the findings set against the research method?
• Conclusions: Summarising the main points and drawing implications of your critique.
Marking Guidelines for the Literature Review Critique
Assessment Criteria Value
Identification and discussion of the theory and concepts relevant to the selected article 5
Analysis and demonstrated level of understanding of key issues and theory presented in the article 5
Identification and analysis of strengths and weaknesses of the article leading to conclusive identification of the article’s contribution 5
to research area
Logical sequence of the development and quality of the presentation of the critique and Referencing 2+3 = 5
TOTAL 20 marks
Note: For your own protection and peace of mind, ensure that you keep a copy of any assessment items that you submit. Also be very mindful that plagiarism is regarded very seriously and students who plagiarise risk failure. Plagiarism is the act of taking and using another's work as one's own.