Adapted from Zikmund et al. (2013), page 103 Global Eating
This case study is adapted from a case in the textbook. You are expected to draw heavily from the textbook to answer the questions in this case.
Make sure you use headings in your assignment. Each question needs a numbered heading. All information relevant to one response must be provided before moving on to the next response.
Barton Boomer, Director of Marketing Research for a large research firm, has a Bachelor’s degree in marketing from the University of South Australia. He is a typical research analyst and often works as a consultant for businesses wanting to expand into new markets.
He is asked to interview an executive froman Australian fast-foodrestaurant chain, Eats-R-Wee. Located in New South Wales, Eats-R-Wee is expanding. The logical two choices for expansion are to other states within Australia or to the nearest geographic neighbour, New Zealand. During the initial interview, MsElisa Simmons, Vice President of Operations for Eats-R-Wee, makes several points to Barton.
• “Barton, we are all set to move across to New Zealand and begin our international expansion with our close neighbour. Can you provide research that will support this position?”
• “Barton, we are in a hurry. We can’t sit on our hands for weeks waiting to make this decision. We need a comprehensive research project completed by the end of the month.”
• “We are interested in how our competitors will react. Have you ever done research for them?”
1. For each of the statements made by MsSimmons (see the three dot points above);
a. Identify theethical issues that Barton needs to consider in his response
b. Use the concepts introduced in the course to explain these issues and why they are important.
In answering this question, you need to draw on the organisational and ethical issues introduced in chapter 5of the textbookand Week 4course material. I removed the following: “but with further support from other academic sources (i.e. peer reviewed sources), including course e-readings”
2. a. Suggest at least 3credible secondary data sources Barton can use in order to be able to describe the current state of the fast-food market in Australia. You need to providedata sources, rather than specific articles/reports.
b. Describe what data Barton can gather from each of these sources.
3. Online or at the library, search for information about recent trends (i.e., most recent 5 years, 2010-2015) in fast-food sales in Australia. Report what you found in about 400 words. Make sure you begin by describing the fast food industry in Australia (define the industry, how big it is, etc). Then identify and discuss any trends happening between 2010-2015. The focus of this question is on trends during 2010-2015.
In answering questions 2 and 3 consider material discussed as part of Topic 2 (Credible sources andliterature review) and Topic 4 (Data collection [primaryand archival] and ethical issues).