Program Bachelor of Business
Code and Subject MGT302A – Strategic Management
Assessment Case Study – (Essay format)
Group or Individual Individual
Length 2000 words (+/-10%)
1. Describe various key strategic management processes (strategic inputs,
strategic actions and strategic outcomes)
2. Discuss, assess and analyse the internal and external environments of an
organisation to determine resources, capabilities and core competencies
3. Develop and critique the implementation of strategic responses to current and
future issues facing the global business environment
4. Evaluate business and corporate level strategy and identify the key risks
associated with these strategies
5. Evaluate an organisations ability to effectively implement
Submission Date Week 6
Case study questions:
The following questions are based on the case “Lululemon Athletica Inc.”
(Hitt, M.A., Ireland, R.D. and Hoskisson, R.E. 2015, Strategic Management: Competitiveness & Globalisation: Concepts and Cases,11e, Cengage Learning, Case 22, pgs 283-294)
1. Critically evaluate Lululemon’s competitive environment. Does the company have a source of (sustainable) competitive advantage?
2. Based on an analysis of the internal environment, discuss the company’s capabilities, and core competencies. Does Lululemon have any weaknesses that can impact its ability to compete in the future?
3. What are the trends and conditions in the external environment that will have a dominant influence on the firm’s strategic actions? In what ways (if any) should Lululemon change its strategic direction?
4. What are the advantages of Lululemon’s business level strategy? What are the risks?
5. As the company grows and expands internationally, what challenges is it likely to face? What recommendations can you make to reduce these potential risks?
You should produce an essay that answers each one of the questions above, using a question/answer format. Each question is worth 20 marks (Total 100 marks). The document should include a title page at the start, and a full reference list at the end. In-text referencing (Think/Harvard-style) should be used where necessary.
© Laureate International Universities 2016
Marking Guide (per question)
Responses accurately and clearly communicate answers to case study questions /10
0 – 2.5 2.5 – 4.0 4.5 – 6.0 6.5 – 8.0 8.5 – 10.0
Majority of Responses have an Majority of responses Majority of responses All responses
responses do not implied answer to provide a direct and provide a direct and provide a direct and
answer the question the questions asked accurate answer to accurate answer to accurate answer to
asked AND but do not directly the questions but the the questions. the questions.
communication is answer the communication lacks Responses are clearly Responses are
unclear with minor questions OR clarity OR has major communicated with communicated clearly
spelling and communication is grammatical or minor grammatical or with no
grammatical errors. poor with major spelling errors. spelling errors. grammatical or
spelling or spelling errors.
Theory used is accurately explained and applied to support answers /8
0 – 2.0 2.5 – 3.5 4.0 – 5.0 5.5 – 6.5 7.0 – 8.0
Majority of Majority of Majority of All responses to All responses to
responses are responses to responses to question are questions are
NOT supported questions are questions are supported with supported with
with relevant supported with supported with relevant theoretical relevant theoretical
theoretical relevant theoretical relevant theoretical knowledge that is knowledge that is
knowledge OR knowledge that is knowledge. explained correctly explained correctly
majority of theory explained with Explanation of theory BUT not integrated and integrated
used is explained minor clarity has minor errors or well into the answer. seamlessly into the
incorrectly. issues and not clarity issues, but answer to the
integrated into the integrated well in the question.
Theory is supported with appropriate references that are cited correctly /2
0 0.25 – 0.5 0.75 – 1.0 1.25 – 1.5 1.75 – 2.0
In-text or reference In-text and Referencing style In-text and reference Both in-text and
list citations are NOT reference list used is used correctly list citations used reference list
used. citations are present but is not the accurately but have citations are used
but do not follow a referencing style minor errors perfectly according
particular required according to according to Think to Think Education
referencing Think Education Education Standards. standards.
Total mark /20
© Laureate International Universities 2016