Assessment Task 2
Article Critique: Locate and critically analyse an article from an economic/business journal in light of the Economic theories studied throughout the unit.
Due date: Friday 28 April (Week 8)
Length and/or format: 1500 words each assessment
Purpose: To develop your familiarity with the language and tools of economic analysis and reasoning by critically analysing a contemporary business/economic news article.
Learning outcomes assessed: L01, LO2, L03, L04. LO5
How to submit: Via Turnitin two weeks after assignment is submitted
Results: Two weeks after assignment is submitted
Assessment criteria: Attached
You will find such articles in daily newspapers as well as in more dedicated economic/business journals such as The Economist magazine. Factiva, an electronic database system available through the ACU Library also allows you to search for newspaper articles on specific topics.
Please Note - your business article must have been published within the last six months. Requirements
The article analysis is comprised of a written paper of no more than 1500 words. In preparing your business article critique you should:
1. Provide a brief discussion of the article and point out the three most important issues contained within the article. Do not simply summarise.
2. Point out the underlying theoretical economic concepts which are relevant to the article
3. Point out the related policy issues (e g what government policy is or should be) and debate around the issue.
4. Provide a critique if the article contains economic discrepancies/ ignores important economic policy problems or issues, or is inconsistent with economic theory.
5. The article should be properly referenced at the end of the paper and include a copy of or a link to the article.