vodafone AU 3G 4:25 pm @ 88% (-)
Assessment item 1
Strategy Analysis Report
Due date: 21-Apr-2017
Return date: 15-May-2017
Submission method options
Alternative submission method
Critically evaluate the key issues that strategic analysis faces in a business or organisation that you are familiar with.
In this assignment, you are required to type a 2500 word report. This includes a 200 word executive summary, but excludes references and appendix.
Your Report should cover the following:
1. Briefly describe the background information of the organisation (or SBU) chosen. This information should be brief and relevant to the discussion of your assignment and thus may include ownership, history, size, business scope, major products/services, and major markets of the organisation (or SBU).
2. Conduct an external environment analysis including a macro-environment analysis and Porter's 5 forces analysis:
(a) Conduct a macro-environment analysis for the entire industry within which the organisation (or SBU) operates. You should use the PESTEL model and focus on understanding the purpose of this analysis, the identification of key factors and their implications in terms of key opportunities and threats, and discussion of their overall impact on industry growth in the future. Draw your conclusions based on your macro-environment analysis.
(b) Undertake a competitive analysis using Porter's 5 forces model. You should pay attention to the purpose of this analysis, the inter- connectedness of different aspects of the competitive forces, and their overall impact on the industry and the organisation selected in terms of main driving forces in the competitive environment. Draw your conclusions based on your five-force analysis.
3. Conduct an internal environment analysis. You should identify, differentiate and evaluate the key resources and competencies of the organisation (or SBU) that are most likely to provide sustainable competitive advantage.
4. Summarise your findings based on your external and internal environment analysis. Identify the key issues that the organisation (or SBU) faces and give your recommendations.
5. Draw your conclusion.
Guidelines for this task:
• Ensure that you read widely and address key components of the strategic management process raised in the literature from Module 1.
• You should seek to complement the readings from Module 1 by accessing books and relevant journal articles from the sources listed under 'Recommended additional reading' in this Subject Outline.
• Use your reading to inform your critical evaluation of the key issues of strategic analysis within the business, public sector or not-for-profit organisation where you work.
• While you are required to name the organisation that is the focus of your research, vnii max wish to make a vase fnr maintaininn the annnymitv of the nrnanisatinn