SIT101 Assignment 1
This assignment is to be completed individually and is worth 15% of overall marks. The assignment is due on or before 8.30 am Monday April 10 (Week 6).
There is a hurdle requirement for this assignment which needs to be completed during the practical session in Week 3. Failure to complete the hurdle will result in a failing grade for Assignment 1.
This assignment assesses your knowledge of an emerging IT trend or technology and your ability to present this in a written format (Microsoft Word) and a presentation format (Microsoft PowerPoint).
1. Your tutor will provide you with a topic.
2. Research the topic. You will need to investigate details about the trend or the technology
• What it is
• How it works
• How it is used or will be used
• The advantages or benefits compared with existing technologies (if any)
• The disadvantages or potential disadvantages
You will need to research a number of sources to obtain the relevant information. At least three of these sources should be used for your report and presentation. The resources must be credible, current (2014 and later), available in English from a number of different sources. Do not use Wikipedia or blogs.
3. Produce a report (written article) of about 1200 words, not including the reference list, using Microsoft Word. Consider the readers of your report to be first-year students, so do not make your report too technical. The report must be carefully spell checked and proofread. A Table of Contents is not required.
The report must be one file and include the following features:
• Title page with the topic name and your details, with no header or footer.
• Headings such as Introduction, Conclusion and References with content as per Task 2. These headings should not be numbered.
• A header with the topic name centered.
• A footer with your name on LHS and the page number on RHS.
• Two columns where appropriate within the report.
SIT101 Assignment 1 Page 1
• A minimum of two styles - one for headings and one for the body type and used throughout the assignment. These styles should be named “SIT101 Ass1 Heading” and “SIT101 Ass1 Body”.
• A footnote
• A graphic of your topic (not from Google images)
• The list of the references you have used, presented in Harvard style.
4. Create a presentation of 10 slides using Microsoft PowerPoint that includes the following:
• An appropriate business style design template.
• A title slide and the topic name (no footer).
• A graphic with appropriate sizing and caption.
• A footer with your student ID and the slide number.
• Effects to build each point in relevant order.
• The references used in the presentation listed at the end.
You should consider type options for easy communication in relation to font, size and colour. The presentation should be carefully spell checked and proofread.
Information about Referencing and Citing
Do not just copy and paste text from a book or website. This is plagiarism and you unlikely to achieve a pass for the assignment. You should summarise what was said in your own words and then indicate that it is a citation EG. The first instance of this technology appeared in 2001 (Barton 2013). If you use a quote directly from a text then you must use quotation marks and give the page number in the citation.
EG. “The first instance of this technology was in 2001 when it was used by the USA military” (Barton 2013, p1). Every citation must have full details about the source in the References part of the report.
There are strict rules about citations and referencing. For this assignment you should use Harvard Style. Information about good assignment writing and referencing can be found on the Deakin University website at http://www.deakin.edu.au/students/study-support/referencing. There is a booklet about Harvard style which you should download and/or print off and use for your assignment.
Your assignment will be assessed on how well you have researched your topic, have used correct referencing style and on your ability to write a report and create a presentation using appropriate features of the relevant software.
Two files should be submitted via “Assignment Submission” in Week 6 or before in Moodle. One file must be in Microsoft Word format; and the other file must be in MS PowerPoint format. Both files must be submitted at the same time and before the due date. You may submit after that time but marks will be deducted for lateness in line with Deakin College policy. Note: Zipped files will not be marked.
SIT101 Assignment 1 Page 2