ACCY801 Business Report
Assessment 1 Report – Authentic task
Graduate qualities assessed Understanding business theory and practice
Intelligent use of information Creative problem solving Leadership
Responsible and ethical behaviour
Learning and professional development
Topic Business Report
Length 2,800 words (excluding references and appendices)
Due date 3 April 2017 (week 9)
Marking criteria A marking guide is available for viewing on the Moodle site for this subject
Style and format 1. Reports must be typed, double spaced, and printed on one side of the paper only
2. Pages are to be consecutively numbered
3. You must be able to provide a duplicate of your submission if requested. Always backup your work
4. You must attach a completed and signed assignment coversheet. A downloadable copy is available on the Moodle site for this subject
5. Your assignment must be submitted by the due time and date in order not to incur a penalty. Please refer to the student handbook for further details
6. Referencing style must follow the Harvard style, available on the UOW library website
7. Whenever the Annual Report is cited, you must provide a page reference to the Annual Report so that your work can be easily verified
8. Do not plagiarise your work. Plagiarism is the unacknowledged work of another person. Plagiarism can result in zero marks or possible expulsion from the university.
9. Assignments may be penalised for failing to meet any of these requirements
Assessment submission 1. Students should submit a soft copy of the report in a word file (excluding assignment coversheet and appendices) into the Turnitin system through the link in the subject’s Moodle site.
2. Students should also submit a full report including the signed Assignment cover sheet, appendices with relevant detailed information/calculations, and originality report to Moodle site through the Full Assignment Link. The Turnitin originality report that you submit with the full copy of the report should be consistent with your final submission to Turnitin.
3. Any assignment submitted after the 5:00PM on 3 April 2017 deadline will attract a penalty.
Submitted assignments will be receipted by SOLS mail no later than 48 hours after the due date. If you do not receive acknowledgement of your submission of the assessment item in this time, contact the Subject Coordinator immediately.
Assessment return Assignments will be returned by during the week 11 (Study Recess) of the session
Detailed information Download a copy of the 2016 Annual Report of Ridley Ltd from the Moodle site. Using the Annual Report, prepare a report that addresses the following:
1. Provide a brief summary of the company. Include details such as industry sector, primary activities, recent performance (300 words maximum).
2. Prepare a table that outlines details of the Board of Directors. Include items such as name, gender, age, education, career history, remuneration, and any other details you think are important or interesting. Provide a brief summary of the characteristics of the Board (1,000 words maximum).
3. Ridely follows the corporate governance recommendations of the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) Corporate Governance Council (CGC) and has several policies in place to support its corporate conduct. The external audit function is discussed throughout these recommendations.
a. Outline the key recommendations of the ASX CGC in table format.
b. Who is RIDLEY’s auditor?
c. What amount of remuneration did the auditors receive from
RIDLEY during the year?
d. Briefly discuss the role of the external audit function and how this may/may not be achieved (400 words maximum).
4. Provide a financial statement analysis of Ridley for 2016 in table format. Include the following ratios (show all workings):
a. current ratio,
b. Quick ratio
c. inventory turnover,
d. Accounts receivable turnover
e. asset turnover,
f. debt to equity,
g. gross profit margin,
h. profit margin,
i. return on assets,
j. return on equity.
Based on your results, make a brief comment on the liquidity, efficiency, solvency, and profitability of Ridley for 2016 (600 words maximum).
5. Four of Ridley’s investors hold over 60% of the issued capital of the company. Who are these four investors? What is the significance of their ownership stake in Ridley? (300 words maximum).
6. Provide a brief comment on the overall financial health of the Ridley Ltd. (200 words maximum)