ASSIGNMENT 1: INDIVIDUAL ASSIGNMENT
Due date?Weighting?Length?Learning outcomes assessed: LO1 & LO2
: 7 April 2017 by 23.00 hours?: 30%?: 1,500 words ± 10% (excluding references and appendices)
The individual assignment aims to give you an understanding of real life auditing problems and an appreciation of the link between theory and practice. It further aims to foster your research, critical analysis and written communication skills.
ABC Learning Centers went public in 2001 with a market capitalization of $25,000,000. After a period of aggressive expansion its market capitalization reached $2,500,000,000. The company then went into liquidation in 2008. You are required to provide an analysis of ABC Learning’s downfall from the point of view of corporate social responsibility, common good and stewardship.
Your report should cover the following:
1. What was the purpose of the audit, and was it achieved? Discuss. ?
2. Provide an evaluation of the collapse of ABC Learning about ‘common good’, ?‘stewardship’, and ‘corporate social responsibility’. ?
3. Identify ethical issues which contributed to the downfall of ABC Learning by ?stating the underlying ethical theory (ies). ?
4. How did unethical practices affect stakeholders? Discuss. Critically evaluate ?the role of auditors in detecting unethical conduct. ?
Your report should consist of the following sections:
• Assignment cover sheet (with full name, student ID and signature) ?
• Introduction ?
• T able of contents ?
• Body (answers to questions) ?
• Conclusion(s) ?
• • References Checklist before submission: o Typed using Microsoft Word in Ariel 12 points with double spacing o Displayed a one inch margin on all sides. o Each question is numbered or is answered under an appropriate title o Pages are numbered o Cover page is attached at the front of the assignment. The cover page can be downloaded from the following link: o https://students.acu.edu.au/home/panels/administration/forms/assessment_and_ assignment_forms. You may submit cover sheets separately. o Appropriately cite original work, author(s) etc. Citation and referencing must conform to APA (American Psychological Association) or Harvard referencing format both in the body of the paper and its attached reference section. o Assignment submitted via Turnitin. Following criteria will be used to mark the written section of the assignment:
1 Introduction 2marks
2 Purpose of the audit 4marks
3 Evaluation of collapse with respect to corporate social responsibility, common good and stewardship 7marks
4 Identification of ethical issues and discussion of those issues with respect to relevant ethical theories’ 7 marks
5 Effect of unethical practices on stakeholders and evaluation of the auditor’s role. 6marks
6 Conclusion 2 marks
7 Presentation 2marks