Assignment 1: Value: 20% Due date: 23-Mar-2015 Length: 1500 (LO 1,2,6)
The multinational company you work for has three years ago started operations in Peru. After an initial, fairly smooth two years, a massive problem has now developed in the Peruvian operation. The CEO has tasked you and 3 other colleagues to work up a proposal for intervention. Your team consists of two communications specialists, and two strategists (who take a more holistic view of the problem).
1. As a team, develop a proposal, addressing the elements below.
2. Work together to research all required information, think critically and reach conclusions (one set for the whole team).
3. Write your proposal individually.
Part 1 - Proposal for change 900
Towards Ass 1 - individual work
1. describe the current situation Business scenario involving change Study scenario carefully
Break it down into elements - see w/sheet 1 write 75 words
2. clarify the reasons for change Worksheet 1 From worksheet 1, identify what needs to be changed write 100 words
3 describe benefits arising from this change Worksheet 1 From worksheet 1, suggest what benefits that would bring write 75 words
4. describe what the changed situation would be like units 1 - 3 draw on learning from units 1 - 3 write 125 words
5. what is your proposal for implementation of the change units 1 - 3 draw on learning from units 1 - 3 + Worksheet 2 write 100 words
6. Describe resources needed (manpower & equipment) units 1 - 3 draw on learning from units 1 - 3 + use your own experience + worksheet 2 write 75 words
7. Who are the stakeholders units 1 - 3 draw on learning from units 1 - 3 + Worksheet 3 write 100 words
8. How will the change affect stakeholders? units 1 - 3 draw on learning from units 1 - 3 + worksheet 3 write 100 words
9. Speculate about concerns stakeholders may have units 1 - 3 draw on learning from units 1 - 3 write 100 words
10. Conclusion (restate the overall benefits of your proposal Make a sales pitch! 50 words
Throughout, use the forum for weekly summaries of what is important for assignment 1
Part 2 - Propose a communications strategy 600 words
Towards Ass 1 - individual work
Make recommendations for the use of certain communicative strategies & channels Units 1- 3 draw on learning from units 1 - 3 - Worksheet 4 write 300 words
Outline the benefits of each component units 1 - 3 draw on learning from units 1 - 3 + research write 100 words
Highlight possible drawbacks units 1 - 3 draw on learning from units 1 - 3 + research write 100 words
Explain why, overall, you believe this strategy will be successful This is where we prove that we know our theories Make the most fantastic sales pitch ever! write 100 words
3. Next we need to set up the forums. Team work will be not just for assignment 1, but also to support each other and cut down the workload. To help with that, we need to communicate on forums. Each team will have its own forum, and each week, one team member will post a summary of what we learnt. Those who could not make it to class that week can then read all about it (short version) on their forum.
4. We will also become familiar with theories, modes and methods of communication, and gain a deeper understanding of the importance of communication in informal and formal situations. Emphasis will be on verbal and non-verbal forms of communication. READ: 1160-1162 from Claeys, A, & Cauberghe, V. (2014). Keeping Control: The Importance of Nonverbal Expressions of Power by Organisational Spokespersons in Times of Crisis. Journal of Communication, 64(6), 1160-1180. The short version is Nonverbal Expressions of Power.docx
I look forward to meeting you all!