Assignment 1 - Essay
Description Marks out of Wtg(%) Due date
Assignment 1 100.00 20.00 31 December 2014
This assignment must be your own work. It is acceptable to discuss Course Content section with others to improve your understanding and clarify requirements, but solutions to assignment questions must be done on your own. You must not copy from anyone, including tutors and fellow students, nor allow others to copy your work. All Assignments will be checked using collusion monitoring tools to ensure that each assignment is the original work of the submitting student. Assignments that do not adhere to this requirement will be deemed as being the result of collusion or plagiarism. This may lead to severe academic penalties as outlined in USQ Policy Library. It is your own responsibility to ensure the integrity of your work. Refer to the Academic Integrity Policy for more details: http://policy.usq.edu.au/documents.php?id=13752PL
In completing this assignment, you are expected to use available resources such as the practical activities in the study modules, the Communication skills handbook, the Course Study Desk – especially the Discussion List (click the Study Desk link on USQConnect
– https://usqconnect.usq.edu.au ), as well as exploring and experimenting on your own.
Applicable course objective:
• develop an understanding of domain knowledge about a range of issues relating to electronic commerce
• analyse and advise stakeholders about technical requirements for specific business contexts
• demonstrate the capacity to communicate clearly with stakeholders a range of options that should be considered by a business in an online environment and the ability to apply appropriate structure and referencing formats
• identify and explain the impact of historical and emerging trends relating to the internet, including how it works.
In this essay of 1500 – 2000 words you are required to draw upon the work you have covered up to and including Module 6 as the base knowledge for your submission. In addition, you are required to search at least four (4) academically sound sources for ideas that add depth to your essay. The USQ library has access to a wide range of such online sources for you to access. (Please note: sites such as Wikipedia, enotes, ask.com, etc. are not regarded as academically sound sources).
Essays have a particular structure - An introduction, a body (where you write your answer in a number of paragraphs, usually one for each idea or topic) and a conclusion. The conclusion is where you sum up your 'argument'. Essays normally do not have headings.
The information at the following URL may be useful: http://www.usq.edu.au/learningcentre/alsonline/assessment/assign/assigntypes/essay
Your essay must be written in your own words. Ideas obtained from sources must be included in your discussion by expressing the idea in your words and citing the source using the Harvard Referencing style. Direct quotes of more than five (5) words will not be considered a demonstration of your knowledge and will be assessed accordingly.
The assignment essay file must be submitted to Turnitin via the StudyDesk link to receive a similarity report prior to submitting it online. If your similarity index is greater than 20% you should review your assignment to ensure that you have not inadvertently failed to incorporate others’ ideas into your words (discussion) sufficiently (appropriate in-text citation must be provided for these sources).
Once you are satisfied with your assignment, submit it as a Word 2007/2010/2013 using the Assignment 1 Online Submission Area link under Assessments on your Study Desk on or before the due date by 23:59 Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST).
GOGAL Designs currently has branches in shopping centres in 50 cities around the country from which they sell their designer range of clothing. GOGAL Designs’ marketing research team has established that the majority of its customers are between the ages of 18 and 45 and are regular users of the Web. In recent times, the business has received feedback from many of them that they enjoy the convenience of online purchasing and would appreciate GOGAL Designs having an online presence.
GOGAL Designs has contacted your consulting company, Moose Consulting, to provide them with more information about conducting business online. They have asked for the following information to be provided to them:
1. Provide GOGAL Designs with a real world example of each of the major types of ecommerce (as described in Laudon & Traver, e-Commerce 2013: Section 1.1). For each type, describe the Web site – including a screenshot – and provide an explanation of why it fits into the category of e-commerce it has been assigned. (500 words)
2. Advise GOGAL Designs on their options for building their online business in-house with existing staff or outsourcing the entire operation. Outline for them which strategy you believe is in the company’s best interest; explain why you chose that approach; and outline the estimated associated costs, compared with the alternative. (500 words)
3. During the early days of e-commerce, first mover advantage was touted as one way to success. On the other hand, some suggest that being a market follower can yield rewards as well.
Identify to GOGAL Designs which approach has proven to be more successful - first mover or follower? Explain why and provide two e-commerce companies as supporting examples on your position. (500 words)
Upload your essay (Word 2007/2010/2013 format) and the Turnitin Report (pdf format) using the naming conventions below, via the online assignment submission in the Assignment 1 area on the CIS1101 StudyDesk, before midnight Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) on the day the assignment is due.
[lastname] / [initial] _ [student number] _ [course code] _ assign1.docx (eg. genrichr_0050051005_cis1101_assign1.docx).
[lastname] / [initial] _ [student number] _ [course code] _ turnitin_assign1.pdf (eg. genrichr_0050051005_cis1101_turnitin_assign1.pdf).
Note: Simply changing the file extension to .docx on a Word 2003 file will not result in a suitable submission. If the assignment files cannot be opened by the marker, it may be treated as late until a suitable replacement is received.
Upon completion of the submission process, check your uConnect email account for an automatically generated confirmation email (if you do not have an email account, print out the Submission Complete screen before exiting the Submission System). You must check that the file name and file size are listed correctly - if there is a problem with either, please email the course leader immediately.
Please note that:
• The following is the USQ Assessment – Assignment (Late Submission) and Compassionate and Compelling Circumstances procedure that relate to Extensions and Late Assignments. They can be found under the following links:
? Assessment – Assignment (Late Submission) Procedure:
? Assessment of Compassionate and Compelling Circumstances Procedures: http://policy.usq.edu.au/documents.php?id=131150PL
• Students seeking extensions for any Assignment work must provide appropriate documentation to support their request before the due date of the assignment (see points 4.3 and 4.4 in the Assessment of Compassionate and Compelling Circumstances Procedures above to see what is considered as Compassionate and Compelling reason for an extension and the level of documentation that will be needed).
• An Assignment submitted after the due date without an approved extension of time will be penalised. The penalty for late submission is a reduction by five percent (5%) of the maximum Mark applicable for the Assignment, for each University Business Day or part Business Day that the Assignment is late. An Assignment submitted more than ten (10) University Business Days after the due date will have a Mark of zero recorded for that Assignment.
? The online submission system will accept late assignments up until 23:55pm on the 10th University Business Day after the due date.