Assignment 2 – Case Study
Description Marks out of Wtg(%) Due date
Assignment 2 100.00 25.00 28th January 2015
This assignment must be your own work. It is acceptable to discuss Course Content section with others to improve your understanding and clarify requirements, but solutions to assignment questions must be done on your own. You must not copy from anyone, including tutors and fellow students, nor allow others to copy your work. All Assignments will be checked using collusion monitoring tools to ensure that each assignment is the original work of the submitting student. Assignments that do not adhere to this requirement will be deemed as being the result of collusion or plagiarism. This may lead to severe academic penalties as outlined in USQ Policy Library. It is your own responsibility to ensure the integrity of your work. Refer to the Academic Integrity Policy for more details: http://policy.usq.edu.au/documents.php?id=13752PL
In completing this assignment, you are expected to use available resources such as the practical activities in the study modules, the Communication skills handbook, the Course Study Desk – especially the Discussion List (click the Study Desk link on USQConnect
– https://usqconnect.usq.edu.au ), as well as exploring and experimenting on your own.
Applicable course objective:
• develop an understanding of domain knowledge about a range of issues relating to electronic commerce
• analyse and advise stakeholders about technical requirements for specific business contexts
• demonstrate the capacity to communicate clearly with stakeholders a range of options that should be considered by a business in an online environment and the ability to apply appropriate structure and referencing formats
• identify and explain the impact of historical and emerging trends relating to the internet, including how it works..
In this report of 3000 – 4000 words you are required to draw upon the work you have covered up to and including Module 11 as the base knowledge for your report. In addition, you are required to search at least 6 academically sound sources for ideas that add depth to your report. The USQ library has access to a wide range of such online sources for you to access. (Please note: sites such as Wikipedia, enotes, ask.com, etc. are not regarded as academically sound sources).
Your essay must be written in your own words. Ideas obtained from sources must be included in your discussion by expressing the idea in your words and citing the source using the Harvard Referencing style. Direct quotes of more than five (5) words will not be considered a demonstration of your knowledge and will be assessed accordingly.
The assignment essay file must be submitted to Turnitin via the StudyDesk link to receive a similarity report prior to submitting your assignment online. If your similarity report is greater than 20% you should review your assignment to ensure that you have not inadvertently failed to incorporate others’ ideas into your words (discussion) sufficiently (appropriate in-text citation must be provided for these sources).
Once you are satisfied with your assignment, submit it as a Word 2007/2010/2013 Document using the Assignment 2 Online Submission Area link under Assessments on your Study Desk on or before the due date by 23:59 Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST).
GOGAL Designs currently has branches in shopping centres in 50 cities around the country from which they sell their designer range of clothing. GOGAL Designs’ marketing research team has established that the majority of its customers are between the ages of 18 and 45 and are regular users of the Web. In recent times, the business has received feedback from many of them that they enjoy the convenience of online purchasing and would appreciate GOGAL Designs having an online presence.
GOGAL Designs’ latest market and financial reports have indicated that turnover is down and that it is losing market share. Further investigation show that this is primarily because of its lack of an online presence in an increasingly dynamic, highly competitive and online business environment. The business now recognises that it must go online if it wishes to regain its market share and to continue to be competitive into the future.
Your consulting company, Moose Consulting, has been contracted by GOGAL Designs to investigate its business practices and the current practices of the online travel industry and to make recommendations as to how GOGAL Designs might best make a successful transition into this environment.
You are required to:
1. Investigate online business models to identify a suitable model for GOGAL Designs.
• Its Board of Directors will want to know why you recommend the chosen model, so ensure that you discuss the appropriateness, advantages and challenges of your recommended Revenue Model for this organization.
2. Identify and discuss a suitable marketing and promotion strategy and discuss the benefits and challenges of your recommended strategy for GOGAL Designs.
• Any successful marketing and promotion strategy would need to consider the competitive environment of the designer clothing industry.
3. Develop a wireframe (using the tools provided on the Study Desk) of the proposed website with at least three pages that shows how it will present to potential customers.
• Both desktop computer and mobile devices should be considered.
4. Describe and discuss the implications of the legal and ethics issues that might arise in conducting this business online.
5. Explain the technology infrastructure, including the hardware requirements, which would be required.
6. Identify and explain the purpose and function of the type of software that would be suitable for GOGAL Designs.
7. Identify the advantages and challenges of taking this organisation online.
8. Based upon the outcomes of the above investigation make clear recommendations for this online initiative.
Upload the Report and the Wireframe files (Word 2007/2010/2013 format) and the Turnitin Report (pdf format) using the naming convention below, via the online assignment submission in the Assignment 2 area on the CIS1101 StudyDesk before midnight Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) on the day the assignment is due.
[lastname] / [initial] _ [student number] _ [course code] _ report_assign2.docx (eg. genrichr_0050051005_cis1101_report_assign2.docx).
[lastname] / [initial] _ [student number] _ [course code] _ wireframe_assign2.docx (eg. genrichr_0050051005_cis1101_wireframe_assign2.docx).
[lastname] / [initial] _ [student number] _ [course code] _ turnitin_assign2.pdf (eg. genrichr_0050051005_cis1101_turnitin_assign2.pdf).
Note: Simply changing the file extension to .docx on a Word 2003 file will not result in a suitable submission. If the assignment files cannot be opened by the marker, it may be treated as late until a suitable replacement is received.
Upon completion of the submission process, check your uConnect email account for an automatically generated confirmation email (if you do not have an email account, print out the Submission Complete screen before exiting the Submission System). You must check that the file name and file size are listed correctly - if there is a problem with either, please email the course leader immediately.
Please note that:
• The following is the USQ Assessment – Assignment (Late Submission) and Compassionate and Compelling Circumstances procedure that relate to Extensions and Late Assignments. They can be found under the following links:
? Assessment – Assignment (Late Submission) Procedure:
? Assessment of Compassionate and Compelling Circumstances Procedures:
• Students seeking extensions for any Assignment work must provide appropriate documentation to support their request before the due date of the assignment (see points 4.3 and 4.4 in the Assessment of Compassionate and Compelling Circumstances Procedures above to see what is considered as Compassionate and Compelling reason for an extension and the level of documentation that will be needed).
• An Assignment submitted after the due date without an approved extension of time will be penalised. The penalty for late submission is a reduction by five percent (5%) of the maximum Mark applicable for the Assignment, for each University Business Day or part Business Day that the Assignment is late. An Assignment submitted more than ten (10) University Business Days after the due date will have a Mark of zero recorded for that Assignment.
? The online submission system will accept late assignments up until 23:55pm on the 10th University Business Day after the due date.