Assignment 1. Individual organisational structure assignment, from the textbook, pp. 134-135: ‘You and Organization Structure’.
The objectives of the analysis are to:
· Improve your knowledge of specific concepts and theories of OT
· Develop your ability to apply theories and concepts to practical situations
· Encourage you to consider the effectiveness of various OT theories and models as they relate to organisational functioning
· Develop your skills in research, critical thinking and analysis
· Develop your skills in academic writing
Length: 1,200 – 1,500 words
Due: Electronic submission on Moodle by 4pm, Tuesday, 30 December, 2014 (Week 7)
Criteria for assessment: the marking guide is provided on Moodle
Accessing the assignment: The ‘You and Organization Structure’ activity is from the textbook, pp.134-135.
Assignment questions: answer all six questions on p. 135. You don’t need to include an introduction and conclusion, or table of contents, just answer the questions as shown in the textbook. Note that more marks are awarded for Qs 4-6 which require written discussion of your thinking in response to the questions.
Tips for the assignment:
- For Q1: there is some helpful material about mission statements on p. 56f.
- For Q2: describe specific job duties which have to be done to achieve the mission of the organisation, such as customer service: taking money, making change, offering online services, handling complaints and refunds etc. Then tie the jobs required with the type of positions you create in the organisation chart. Be as specific as possible about the type of work to be done for each position in Q2. Being very clear about the nature of the jobs to be done in Q2 will help greatly in the kind of organisation charts you design in Qs 3-6
- Expected number of references: one (the textbook).