Assessment 3: Essay
Assessment type Essay
Word limit/length 2500 words
Weighting 50% of total grade
Due date December at 11pm
The sins of the father are to be laid upon the children.”
(William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice)
-It must be recognised that the experiences of trauma and loss, present since European invasion are a direct outcome of the disruption of cultural wellbeing. Trauma and loss of this magnitude continue to have intergenerational effects”
(National Strategic Framework for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People's Mental Health and Social and Emotional Well Being 2004—2009, p .6)
It is now clear that trauma at formative times and adverse childhood experiences can have an impact on health and wellbeing in later life. This assignment provides an opportunity for you to consider the mechanisms by which trauma can impact on subsequent generations and how these impacts can be reduced.
• Critique the influences and impacts of transgenerational trauma with a focus on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse populations.
• Construct helpful interventions, in partnership with consumers, to common mental health conditions within the context of older persons mental health.
With reference to developmental theory and research:
• Discuss how trauma can be communicated intergenerationally;
• Describe the effects of intergenerational trauma across the lifespan generally and with reference to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations;
• Succinctly describe therapeutic approaches to facilitate healing and recovery of individuals and communities.